Missed call from an invalid phone number

I have had a missed call from a Sheffield number but when I rang it to see who it was calling me it says it is an invalid number, anyone else had anything like this. Done a reverse look up on various sites but no information on the number.

If it starts 0114 573 its from a man who wants to clean your oven.

Is that a euphemism? :D

Probably a scam it’s possible to send any number you want on a call and making the number look local is one of the common things they do.

I had a call this morning from 0114 6571942, weird, not had this before...

I had a prerecorded phone message yesterday from someone wanting to clean my oven.

If it looks like a local no., but comes-up invalid it will be from somewhere in Asia. Google it, there are quite a few sites that can help you.

You can get free apps that will get a call to display any phone number you want at the other end.

The scammers trying to get access to your computer have a new ploy too. Rather than being called in person by someone claiming to be your service provider, there is now a recorded message when you pick up the phone stating that your service will be disconnected that day unless you follow their instructions. Obviously they're fed up of being told to .... off!

Yep I had the oven cleaning phone call today !

Why do people insist on ringing numbers that they do not recognise or were not expecting a call from?

It's something I've never understood. Like email scammers, these people can make a number appear as something other than where it originates. Some of these can cost up to £10 per minute and by the time you have listened to a message long enough to realise it is a scam, you are into the call for £20-£30. And when this appears on your bill you will be expected to pay it as you made the call voluntarily.

Because sometimes it CAN be something valid, someone who changed their number without telling you, etc. This is especially relevant if you have hospital appointments.

If you call a local number I'm pretty sure they CAN'T make it charge more than a local call, as that is all your service provider sees and charges for.

Now if its a recorded message and you press something then THAT can be an issue, but the recorded message should be a tell-tale that something is off about it. But if you receive a call with a recorded message that is still a potential issue, you don't have to be making the call.