Toys R Us and Maplin.

no, just sensible ;)

Yeah but he's trying to be big and clever :hihi:

Maplins sale now on, putting signs out today, still expensive but you never know what you might get

I went in yesterday, walked out again without buying anything.

At 20 - 30 % off it's still too expensive, and that's why it's gone bust.

I was a fairly regular customer, but I only ever bought the occasional LED strip, batteries, etc... Stuff that I wanted quickly or where the saving online was only going to be pennies.

---------- Post added 10-03-2018 at 09:15 ----------

Maplins downfall was their Markup. A 1 Meter 3.5 Phono lead £7.99

Exact same thing in Poundland = £1

No difference in quality...;)

Last time i was in Red Gates they had Dinky toys on the shelf for £1.95. Now worth £Hundreds.

My mum used to bug me on my birthday, Let's go upstairs and look at the cuddly toy's first..!! Damn, yes mom.

They used to sell their own brand HDMI leads (and other leads) but stopped that 2 or 3 years ago, currently the only HDMI lead they sell is like £25, which is ridiculous, you can get one for £5 on amazon of reasonable quality. Or less if you want to gamble.

Had a look in Maplins earlier and I have to say the closing down sale is appalling, in fact it might as well not be on.

Maplin shut down sale prices still HIGHER than rivals

The Yale Smart Living Alarm kit was reduced to £314.99 from £349.99, but it is on sale on Amazon for £260.97. The Philips Hue wireless lighting GU10 white and colour starter kit was cut by Maplin to £152.99 from £169.99 but is available from Scan at £148.99.

Netgear’s Orb WiFi was on the discount shelf at Maplin for £296.99 versus the earlier price of £329.99. Reseller Insight has the device on sale in its digi store for £254.39.

One of the most embarrassing comparisons was Maplin trying to offload the Powerbeats 3 blue wireless headphones for £135.96, down from £169.93. This product was actually found on Currys for £122.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/14/maplin_prices_still_higher_in_closing_down_sale/

When toys r us closes there will be 6 empty units at the retail park which will be more than the ones that are open. I imagine the rent is ridiculous but maybe it’s time for a rethink

Maplin shut down sale prices still HIGHER than rivals

One of the most embarrassing comparisons was Maplin trying to offload the Powerbeats 3 blue wireless headphones for £135.96, down from £169.93. This product was actually found on Currys for £122.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/14/maplin_prices_still_higher_in_closing_down_sale/

The one at the bottom is best, still cheaper from a fellow high-street retailer and almost 50 pounds over-priced before it was on sale.

Sad to see Maplin go, but quite frankly they've dug their own grave.

Yes I am afraid Maplins dug their own grave . Was once a regular user then products started to change and at the same time became expensive , like it has been said on here and yes the sale is a joke .

When toys r us closes there will be 6 empty units at the retail park which will be more than the ones that are open. I imagine the rent is ridiculous but maybe it’s time for a rethink

NB: merely closing the shop does not stop the rent running!

But if the company has ceased trading who would pay the rent ?

surely they tell the landlords and it stops? :suspect: if i move house i dont carry on paying rent on the last house, or indeed if i died i dont carry on paying

Customers have it best at present you can look instore and buy online cheaper.

This will change in many category areas in the next decade as an example unless you have a John Lewis nearby Currys/Pc world are often one of the the only places you can get advice and see tech/electrical products demonstrated now and the only reason they survive is because they sell you loads of services which is where their profits come from.A questionable business model imo.

Sad to see as many jobs will go.

Wouldn't the landlord be added to the list of creditors? I suppose it all depends on the wording of the leaase.