Supertram Rail Replacement 2018

Looks like we’ve got some more rail replacement on the way later this year, and next year, and the year after:

From http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/volkerrail-to-renew-more-sheffield-tram-tracks?utm_content=bufferdfbeb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer:

VolkerRail has been appointed by South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) to carry out the second phase of the Supertram Rail Replacement works in Sheffield.

The project involves putting in new track sections for the street running rails that have suffered wear and tear.

VolkerRail carried out the first phase between 2013 and 2015.

The second phase works are expected to start in April 2018 and carry on across the network, during the summer periods (May to September) for the next three years.

I have to laugh at the ...

"we aim to ensure as little disruption as possible"

Another round of no trams and rubbish replacement bus services coming up - standing in town watching "blue" buses turning up on one street only for them to get to another street and switch to being a "yellow" service

One bus in a morning, which is full by the time it reaches your stop

:rolleyes:

Not to mention the recent ad-hoc 3 nights where there was work carried out from 11pm til 5am with less than 24 hours notice of working outside people's houses...

I have to laugh at the ...

"we aim to ensure as little disruption as possible"

Another round of no trams and rubbish replacement bus services coming up - standing in town watching "blue" buses turning up on one street only for them to get to another street and switch to being a "yellow" service

One bus in a morning, which is full by the time it reaches your stop

:rolleyes:

Not to mention the recent ad-hoc 3 nights where there was work carried out from 11pm til 5am with less than 24 hours notice of working outside people's houses...

It's only between Hillsborough and Middlewood this time by the looks of it on that link, calm down. Presumably all trams will run to Malin Bridge and turn round there instead.

How dare they keep passengers safe by replacing worn track. Wait until the track ombudsman finds out about this.

Will they extend the tram link from Middlewood to Hillsborough?

Will they extend the tram link from Middlewood to Hillsborough?

Hopefully Stagecoach have learnt from past mistakes and that they not only will provide a bus replacement to Hillsborough (or Malin bridge) and that it will not be necessary to change buses at Middlewood.

I live in hope

Well i don't know what other people think , but the rails that have already been replaced, especially on city road are a disgrace.

The concrete that holds the rails are a disgrace with potholes every few metres Due to very bad workmanship. They were not like that before the rails were replaced and as i said before , DISGRACEFUL , And Dangerous to cyclists and motorcycles.

Well i don't know what other people think , but the rails that have already been replaced, especially on city road are a disgrace.

The concrete that holds the rails are a disgrace with potholes every few metres Due to very bad workmanship. They were not like that before the rails were replaced and as i said before , DISGRACEFUL , And Dangerous to cyclists and motorcycles.

Actually there were quite a few potholes before the replacement on that stretch as the concrete pontoon seems to be cracking in places exposing the rebar. But yes, it has got worse and in some places they had to make holes to cut, remove and then replace the rails. They were filled in but not done very well. The resin that is used to bed the rails in is also falling apart or missing in places especially on the bends at Spring Lane and Manor Top.