Fake News Linked Advertising on this Forum.

A fake news story that Elon Musk has quit Tesla is being used on this site to link to an advert for a 'get rich quick' Bitcoin scheme.

Given the amount of public debate about fake news and targeted advertising, do people who post here have any objections to this kind of advertising being directed at them?

As far as I can tell the advertising you get on SF is linked to your browsing history - hence I get lots for properties in France because we're buying a property in France.

I never see it.

Because you have ad-removing software or because you pay no attention to it?

---------- Post added 27-02-2018 at 17:37 ----------

As far as I can tell the advertising you get on SF is linked to your browsing history.

Yes this ad is on the Car Battery thread, which is why I described it as targeted.

Because you have ad-removing software or because you pay no attention to it?

Both. I have ad removing software but disable it for sites I regularly visit like this one. I just pay no attention to it and get on with reading or posting when Im on here.

When I sign out and go to look at the thread about car batteries, I get a targeted ad about clothes that I've looked at recently and a Money Supermarket ad.

Can you get a link for the ad to which you're referring, or a page link and screen shot and send them to me by email so I can get this looked into please?

We would never deliberately send out fake news and do as much as we can to fact check on threads which are appearing on SF. If the ads are targeted to your individual browsing history or search history then everybody who looks at the ad will see a different result for the same block of ads, but I need to know which particular block it's appearing in to know whether it's a personally targeted ad or a specific company advertising.

EDIT- and it does help to include my email address if I'm asking you to email, doesn't it?

I can be reached on medusa@sheffieldforum.co.uk

Thank you :)

Edited by medusa

That page is showing a different ad now but the ad it linked to is still in a browser window.

http://earnwithbitcoin.co/index1.php?offer_id=1692&aff_id=3456&aff_sub1=%7Bsub_param%7D&aff_sub2=aff_id_2966&aff_sub3=offer_id_1660&aff_sub4=http://bitcoinmillions.co/&aff_sub5=%7Bsub_param%7D&source=1022500df7b3992dc5e8f0d97a0c39

If I see it again I shall screenshot it and email it you.