Brook Hill Roundabout roadblock and pedestrian death 27/02/2018

I'm not assuming it was speeding at all. I just use that crossing a lot and have seen many cars that must be doing more than 30. I doubt any skip lorry drive would get up to 30 in that short stretch.

and teach the young to look at the vehicles approaching when crossing! Don't just trust the green man!

A bit patronising don’t you think? I’ve seen a fair few older people recently who don’t look before they cross the road - not that I'm suggesting this is what has happened here.

Hang on there, many parents teach 'only cross when the green man is showing' don't they? Or have I got this wrong...... Ah you mean I'm patronising the poor lad in hospital? No, I have no Idea how this accident happened.... It is an accident as only a psycopath would do this intentionally.

In fact I am always amazed at how safe /sensible and sane 99.999% of the population is, considering the number of drivers on the roads every day and the number of accidents.

Let’s be honest, there’s nothing wrong with that stretch of road really. A few crossings, two wide lanes, buses taken out of the equation for the most part. It is a busy stretch of road though. Should be easy enough to navigate but unfortunately some people drive like complete idiots and others appear to not be able to cope with even very minor changes.

If people are really struggling with the approach to the uni roundabout as they’ve added one more set of lights I’d suggest it’s time to stop driving. Seriously.

Hope the injured person is ok. It’s a terrible thing to have happened and it’s not fair to blame either party until we know what’s happened.

They've moved the crossing that used to be at the bottom by the roundabout further up, and added another crossing as well a few yards further up. This was presumably at the instigation of the University and on the surface would seem to be a good idea because students were spilling onto the road from the narrow pavement at the bottom, and vehicles regularly came off the roundabout and straight through the red light of the crossing. However it's also true that traffic would be going slower down towards the old crossing and the roundabout than it is further up the road.

Frankly I'm just relieved to see in the Star that the guy is actually still alive.

The driver of the truck involved has been arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

Oh dear - that really is very sad news.

Terribly sad to hear of this young man's death.

Not criticising the unfortunate victim, but I couldn't help but notice that it says he was hit " near" not "on" the crossing, which makes me wonder why the central reservation and barrier were removed on part of this stretch of road. This barrier served to deter people from attempting to cross away from the crossing.

RIP - awful news.

I use the roads around here, West Street etc quite a lot at rush hour, as a 'rat run' to get down to Eccy Road area. What I will say is that the road sense of the foreign students in particular is awful. They regularly just walk out into the road. Chinese/HK

/Far East students in particular. The roads connecting West and Division street are notorious for it.