Plumbers/electricians, a quick diy question.

It is a racing certainty that at some point you will leave the property, even if it is in a wooden box! ;)

Ha, I'll go along with that and I worry for the next tennant moving in unaware of what's been done.

Ha, I'll go along with that and I worry for the next tennant moving in unaware of what's been done.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I wasn't saying that Automaton's wiring skills are deadly just that we all have to go sometime.

Hmm, it appears my last post got deleted, not by me, but never mind.

There's no point in starting an Inquisition as, should I answer correctly who's to say I hadn't just gone on Google, or you suggesting I had if I answered with my own knowledge? If I'd known someone was going to get their knickers in a twist I wouldn't have bothered even asking for advice. Not to mention, that's what an installation manual is for. As all things come with one. I could ask you how to build a computer, maybe you know, maybe you don't, but as I do I can say most of that is common sense too, it's all about putting the pieces where they fit, not trying to force them to go elsewhere. The specifics are where you need knowledge, even if only a little. So again I say, most - and please take note, the important word here is just that "MOST" - things are common sense, turn off the power, don't connect live to earth or neutral, or any combination of twisted connections, don't leave wiring uncovered, don't screw through a wire, don't leave a wire dangling in a sink.... Etc. Specifics and more technical issues are the exact thing I came here to ask in the first place. So please, don't go getting bent out of shape over a statement that is quite true, whether you want it to be or not.

It's not that simple....

K corrections for an MCB. D curve ok? What's your pscc like. You have the kit to measure that. Got a 5kv tester?

If not then you are not competent or tooled up to install a shower that puts electricity in contact with the water stream.

It's not that simple....

K corrections for an MCB. D curve ok? What's your pscc like. You have the kit to measure that. Got a 5kv tester?

If not then you are not competent or tooled up to install a shower that puts electricity in contact with the water stream.

Well, firstly, that's assuming that the current wiring isn't already on it's own circuit, with it's own fuse. I haven't even tried checking yet, because even if I had bought the shower and was ready to install it, I still have too much crap in the cupboard because I've not finished unpacking. Ido however know tthere's an unused mcb on the board at present. Secondly, I suppose it depends on what kind of corrections your meaning, as there is little difference between a k and d curve mcb, mostly involving how long it takes for it to trip and forwhat reason. As for the pscc, no, I don't have a tester, which brings me straight <removed> back to my last point, to which I feel the need to quote myself from my last post, and numerous other times I've said this already;

Specifics and more technical issues are the exact thing I came here to ask in the first place.

I really do wish you people would read all of my post instead of choosing to get offended by a single statement. I mean hell, what are you, a grown man/woman or a millennial? Perhaps call it ignorance on my part if you so wish, but what's the point in getting offended? It only raises the blood pressure.

https://goo.gl/images/4GVyF9

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Well, firstly, that's assuming that the current wiring isn't already on it's own circuit, with it's own fuse. I haven't even tried checking yet, because even if I had bought the shower and was ready to install it, I still have too much crap in the cupboard because I've not finished unpacking. Ido however know tthere's an unused mcb on the board at present. Secondly, I suppose it depends on what kind of corrections your meaning, as there is little difference between a k and d curve mcb, mostly involving how long it takes for it to trip and forwhat reason. As for the pscc, no, I don't have a tester, which brings me straight <removed> back to my last point, to which I feel the need to quote myself from my last post, and numerous other times I've said this already;

I really do wish you people would read all of my post instead of choosing to get offended by a single statement. I mean hell, what are you, a grown man/woman or a millennial? Perhaps call it ignorance on my part if you so wish, but what's the point in getting offended? It only raises the blood pressure.

ha ha you are one of those know it alls that nobody wants to do a job for, crack on mate fit your electric or combi shower, hope it goes very well:roll::roll:

ha ha you are one of those know it alls that nobody wants to do a job for, crack on mate fit your electric or combi shower, hope it goes very well:roll::roll:

Call me that, if you wish, it's not my fault I actually go and learn things if I have a gap in my understanding of something. At no point would I call myself skilled in any subject discussed, except computers, I simply know little bits about lots of things. Again bringing me right back to point. I came here to ask people that knew, because I didn't. And as I've said more times than I care to count now, I already understand it's not a job I should do myself.

Which part of those two points are you people not understanding? I came to get knowledge, decided it's not a job for me and that there are two other paths to take to get the job done. 1. Get someone else to do it 2. Don't go electric.

You said that most things are common sense.

I just demonstrated that the choice iof MCB, the choice of cable, the choice of method of protection (an MCB may not be appropriate) are anything but common sense which may get your killed.

Now - act annoyed if you like but if you havnt picked up on the fact that a D curve (or indeed a K) is not appropriate for the situation you are way in over your head and sinking fast.

Further more it's not just a case of adding a little more knowledge to you. If you want to know how to do it - theres a publication called IEEE 17th regs you need...

Plus all the tooling kit. IF you dont have a pscc or isolation tester you've no buisness putting in a new circuit or verifying an older on.

you've no buisness putting in a new circuit or verifying an older on.

Pretty sure I already said that.

I came here to ask people that knew, because I didn't. .... I already understand it's not a job I should do myself. .

Plus, it ABSOLUTELY IS common sense that an amateur shouldn't mess with the main fuse board... I'm inquisitive, not retarded.

So, one last time I will say the following;

I already understand it's not a job I should do myself. .

For the record, I'm not annoyed, by of this, I'm just mildly irritated that you're deliberately ignoring that I've clearly and repeatedly admitted that this isn't a job I can do while interrogating me on matters relating to *doing* said job that

I'm not going to do.

I feel this whole thread has run it's course. And to end further argument I have asked a moderator to lock it.