Digital Compact Camera - good zoom

There was a slot on the gadget show on channel 5 reviewing three compact zoom cameras - might be available on demand.

Ah, here we are. https://www.my5.tv/the-gadget-show/season-28/episode-2

Was this the one where the Sony trounced the others, Sony have always made decent compacts, although they are usually pretty expensive.

Was this the one where the Sony trounced the others, Sony have always made decent compacts, although they are usually pretty expensive.

To the best of my knowledge the show only came out Friday - but yeah Sony did well, but it was the most expensive by some distance. It made me think about chopping my fujifilm one but honestly I didn't see enough of jump to make me want to so I'll keep putting off buying a DSLR instead ;)

To the best of my knowledge the show only came out Friday - but yeah Sony did well, but it was the most expensive by some distance. It made me think about chopping my fujifilm one but honestly I didn't see enough of jump to make me want to so I'll keep putting off buying a DSLR instead ;)

I have stuck with Olympus ,starting with their first digital model, cant remember the model number could be d1 it took smart media cards at £1 per meg I now have dslr but I am impressed with the Sony phone cam its awesome for snaps.

buy as top of the range sony phone the camera section is fantastic with a oled screen 4k video a pal just bought one it came with a blu tooth speaker that sounds like a juke box,i can see the day when cheap cameras are no longer made.

Ultimately smart phone cameras will surpass compacts of every description, although we are a fair way off yet, it will happen.

I saved a bit more for my superzoom, nearer a grand but the bigger sensor makes a difference, I bought it to wean myself off the pain of changing lenses on my DSLR but I always go back to my DSLR in the end, even at that price point it cannot compete.

I have a Canon 1200D and mainly use a 18-135 is lens on it. Its pretty good. I also have a 350D as well. The camera I'm playing with at present is a Fuji X10. It doesn't have DSLR performance but its damn good for street photography and its small. Bought secondhand in mint condition at Harrisons, its a gem. I don't reckon any of the compacts can match DSLR performance due to sensor size. I find the 18-135 is lens reduces the need to change lenses so often, its images can be heavily cropped as well. No one camera is perfect for everything, its all down to preference, but the fuji X10 is a good 'walk about' camera. fuji colours are great as well.

I have a Canon 1200D and mainly use a 18-135 is lens on it. Its pretty good. I also have a 350D as well. The camera I'm playing with at present is a Fuji X10. It doesn't have DSLR performance but its damn good for street photography and its small. Bought secondhand in mint condition at Harrisons, its a gem. I don't reckon any of the compacts can match DSLR performance due to sensor size. I find the 18-135 is lens reduces the need to change lenses so often, its images can be heavily cropped as well. No one camera is perfect for everything, its all down to preference, but the fuji X10 is a good 'walk about' camera. fuji colours are great as well.

The X10 is an oldie but a goodie, looks like an old Leica, also love the hot shoe.

About 2 years ago I bought a decent Canon Sureshot camera from CEX on the High St that was pretty good and it only cost me about 12 quid because I traded in some old games.

Works a treat.

Hi

I 'won' This Panasonic Lumix DMX TZ60 on fleabay last year for around £90, It has a 30x zoom and image stabilisation, I'm not very technically minded and this camera has more functions and gadgets than I know how to use but it seems to take half decent pics for me (On auto!! 😊 )

CAMERA

A few pics i've taken with it (Bearing in mind i'm no David Bailey!!) 

Two Corvids on the roof ridge without zoom

And at 30x zoom.

Police Chopper

Police plane.

Bonsai Juniper.

Good luck with your quest 👍

Biggsy 🙂

y thanks to all that replied. I really do appreciate it.

I’ve been using my I Phone this last year and whilst I’ve taken some pretty good photo’s with it, the zoom is useless.

As I spent a lot of time in my house at present, I’m quite keen to catch this little wagtail that keeps coming to see me every day.

I’m not a serious photographer, but I am good at composition and just want something with a zoom to get that little closer.

I was looking at the following ...

Psst. I agree ... all my previous cameras have been kept immaculate.