Public transport pfffft!

I guess there is a consensus that using public transport is a good thing, however I would like someone to explain why on admittedly one of the few times I do use it that at 10.18p.m. on one of the main roads in to Sheffield I have to wait 47 minutes for the bus I want and/or 63 minutes for a bus in to the city centre.

. . . I have to wait 47 minutes for the bus I want and/or 63 minutes for a bus in to the city centre.

Wow, on one of the coldest days of the year?

Because you’re too much of a skinflint to take a taxi, is the correct answer.

Buses only run frequently until the early evening. From late evening they are less frequent.

My sentiment too, invariably the 09:29 56 Herdings to Wybourn first bus is missing at least four times a week. It did arrive nearly on time yesterday but the 09:44 was missing so was the 09:56 then one arrived at 10:11. So after going to catch the 09:44 we had a decent wait on a cold day, so what's the point of having a timetable?

Guest busdriver1
I guess there is a consensus that using public transport is a good thing, however I would like someone to explain why on admittedly one of the few times I do use it that at 10.18p.m. on one of the main roads in to Sheffield I have to wait 47 minutes for the bus I want and/or 63 minutes for a bus in to the city centre.

Did you check the timetable or just go out and hope?

My biggest issue with buses is that they hardly ever have the heating on in the winter.

The thing is it isn't run for the public anymore it's run for the shareholders

Did you check the timetable or just go out and hope?

I'll be honest, I go out to the bus stop and despair :help:

In other news- bus usage is down.

No one seems as yet to have put together that if you offer a poor quality service tbat is also expensive, people won't want to use it. Makes the fares reasonable, and at a flat rate (as tbey are in scotland) and they might solve the problem they'vr made for themselves.

Yes they certainly do want you to use public transport but at times when lots of others also want to

Something of a difficult equation as when less people travel reduce the frequency but then the service is less attractive so less people travel .....

reduce the fares but who will pay (council tax?)

A poor quality service that is cheap might not help either.

To answer the question however one really needs to know if WasThatWise was using the timetable and what the frequency was meant to be - ie was they unlucky and had just missed a bus with low scheduled frequency or were a number of services cancelled or late?

I hadn’t specifically used the timetable, but did think my bus ran every 30 minutes and had gone for the 10.35 bus which either didn’t exist or was missing I haven’t checked, however I had bought a city bus day ticket in order that I could catch any bus to the city centre and then a choice of buses from there. I was waiting on Penistone road and it seems was naive to think there was any other bus running along it at that time. Someone said it had become so since the 53 route had been altered, don’t know about this.

---------- Post added 24-02-2018 at 12:06 ----------

Wow, on one of the coldest days of the year?

Because you’re too much of a skinflint to take a taxi, is the correct answer.

Buses only run frequently until the early evening. From late evening they are less frequent.

I was waiting outside the Old Crown so I could pay a tenner for a taxi or have a pint and a wee for less than half that. Still had to wait though.

Whilst I would say it helps to have some idea of the timetable then if you can not rely on it especially when frequency is low then people will not use it.

Things are compounded when you do not know if the bus is just late or cancelled. many times (not just in Sheffield) I have given up waiting and started to walk only for the bus to then go sailing past me

On thing I learnt in Sheffield is that many buses don't simply follow the main roads but go all around the houses and this might explain why there are less than you expect - i am not criticising here

The truth is we are being herded into big citys and beingherded onto public transport by the elite

They then want to take all our money, make all stressed and depressed and make us dependant on the elite

They can then ply us with tablets to make us more docile

And once we are more docile we are then easier to control

You my friend (wasthatwise) are part of a world conspiracy by the global elite

It starts with waiting for a bus for 40 minutes and leads onto total world control