Child Genital Mutilation

1 minute ago, danot said:

Carrying out intimate examinations and prosecuting the the patents and custodians of FGM victims. 

Who,  specifically, are you suggesting should be compelled to undergo these examinations?

1 minute ago, Halibut said:

Who,  specifically, are you suggesting should be compelled to undergo these examinations?

Do you want names and addresses?

Edited by danot

5 minutes ago, danot said:

Do you want names and addresses?

No, I'm asking you to say which group or groups of children you would target.

Edited by Halibut

Just now, Halibut said:

No, I'm asking you to say which group or groups of children would you target.

Statistically speaking.  Any group that commonly practices the procedure. 

You're not inferring that there's not enough statistical evidence to warrant me saying this procedure is most commonly performed on specific girls from specific groups are you? 

6 minutes ago, danot said:

Statistically speaking.  Any group that commonly practices the procedure. 

You're not inferring that there's not enough statistical evidence to warrant me saying this procedure is most commonly performed on specific girls from specific groups are you? 

In the UK, the Home Office has identified girls from the Somali, Kenyan, Ethiopian, Sudanese, Sierra Leonean, Egyptian, Nigerian, Eritrean, Yemeni, Kurdish and Indonesian communities at most risk of FGM (HM Government, 2016).

So you're proposing that all girls from birth to what age (?) who are from these high risk groups are subject to an (annual?) intrusive intimate genital examination?

I think it's a ridiculous idea for the reasons I and others have already suggested.

1 minute ago, Halibut said:

In the UK, the Home Office has identified girls from the Somali, Kenyan, Ethiopian, Sudanese, Sierra Leonean, Egyptian, Nigerian, Eritrean, Yemeni, Kurdish and Indonesian communities at most risk of FGM (HM Government, 2016).

So you're proposing that all girls from birth to what age (?) who are from these high risk groups are subject to an (annual?) intrusive intimate genital examination?

I think it's a ridiculous idea for the reasons I and others have already suggested.

No. I never said 'all girl's', they're your word's.

Introducing random screenings is the only feasible action that would discourage advocates from performing the procedure.  It's common knowledge that the procedure is cloaked in secrecy and being carried out undetected at present, so it's time the authorities pulled their heads out of the sand because something has to change, and soon. We can't continue waiting for these girls to pluck-up the courage to speak out against their loved one's and community. It ain't gonna happen. 

13 hours ago, Halibut said:

i think you were meant to say the parents of these victims should be prosecuted 

FGM was made illegal here in 1985 the first and only conviction was in 2017 and the mother only got a 11 year sentence which she will no doubt not do all of

it seems clear to me that whoever it was that passed sentence has no comprehension of what was actually done to that child and the lifelong effects.

call me cynical but i can't help think that the woman fell foul of the authorities for doing it herself

had she paid some qulified medical practioner to do it or gone abroad like most of the rest do... nothing would ever have come of it

i don't understand why this thread has got hijacked by the anti male circumcision brigade.. go start your own thread and you can talk about penises and your personal fears and hang ups as much as you like.

FGM is exactly that life long mutilation of women's  outer genitals usually removing labia and clitoris. the mental scarring and th efeelings of betrayal arew seldom even mentioned.  

male circumcision on the opther hand is no big deal and is basically just a skin trim which leaves the rest of the penis intact and some say appearance enhanced... were the extremes of fgm to be applied to male circumcision to be applied whoever was doing it would die out.

i have seen the massive personalty changes in young muslim women that were sent or taken 'home' during the school holidays, many that did return came back with pronounced limps.  as of course i was legally obliged to do so (not that i needed to be obliged)   i  reported my suspicions at first to people who had paid responsibilites for safeguarding  and when that failed to social services. as you might imagine   nothing happened.  

2 hours ago, fill said:

FGM was made illegal here in 1985 the first and only conviction was in 2017 and the mother only got a 11 year sentence which she will no doubt not do all of

it seems clear to me that whoever it was that passed sentence has no comprehension of what was actually done to that child and the lifelong effects.

call me cynical but i can't help think that the woman fell foul of the authorities for doing it herself

had she paid some qulified medical practioner to do it or gone abroad like most of the rest do... nothing would ever have come of it

i don't understand why this thread has got hijacked by the anti male circumcision brigade.. go start your own thread and you can talk about penises and your personal fears and hang ups as much as you like.

FGM is exactly that life long mutilation of women's  outer genitals usually removing labia and clitoris. the mental scarring and th efeelings of betrayal arew seldom even mentioned.  

male circumcision on the opther hand is no big deal and is basically just a skin trim which leaves the rest of the penis intact and some say appearance enhanced... were the extremes of fgm to be applied to male circumcision to be applied whoever was doing it would die out.

i have seen the massive personalty changes in young muslim women that were sent or taken 'home' during the school holidays, many that did return came back with pronounced limps.  as of course i was legally obliged to do so (not that i needed to be obliged)   i  reported my suspicions at first to people who had paid responsibilites for safeguarding  and when that failed to social services. as you might imagine   nothing happened.  

The thread is specifically about child genital mutilation. The opening post mentions both FGM and male circumcision. It hasn’t been ‘hijacked’. The majority of discussion is about FGM anyway so I don’t see your problem..