Child Genital Mutilation

3 hours ago, danot said:

Absolutely not.  And I haven't made any kind of comparison that would lead to you think I might.   I just think the issue of 'not having a baby's consent' is redundant. 

And just for the record, I'm totally against FGM.

Yeah, agreed.  Babies can't consent to anything, despite the whole "parenting by consent" thing.

Frankly mutilation is something that should be illegal even if a minor consents.  Adults are different, but until 18, should be simply illegal.

33 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Yeah, agreed.  Babies can't consent to anything, despite the whole "parenting by consent" thing.

Frankly mutilation is something that should be illegal even if a minor consents.  Adults are different, but until 18, should be simply illegal.

Thing is. We're too mindful of religious and cultural diversity to ever outlaw the customary practices that signify their faith and cultural heritage.  It'll never happen in my lifetime.

It's already outlawed... :confused:

This was never an issue in this country until relatively recently. Funny that.

53 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's already outlawed... :confused:

Should've said stamped-out. Only ever conviction was February this year though. And that's in spite of the practice still being used. 

15 hours ago, danot said:

Should've said stamped-out. Only ever conviction was February this year though. And that's in spite of the practice still being used. 

Very difficult for the authorities to detect isn't it.

We can't stamp out burglary and that gets reported by the victims nearly 100% of the time.

16 hours ago, Hots on said:

This was never an issue in this country until relatively recently. Funny that.

Digital crime was never an issue before 20 years ago.  Times change, try to keep up.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

Very difficult for the authorities to detect isn't it.

We can't stamp out burglary and that gets reported by the victims nearly 100% of the time.

If there'd been only one conviction for burglary since the 1980's I'd agree with you.

That's my point.  Burglary isn't hard to detect, because victims report.

FGM is very hard to detect because victims don't report, nobody else reports, and so how are the authorities supposed to know that there is anything to investigate?

42 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

That's my point.  Burglary isn't hard to detect, because victims report.

FGM is very hard to detect because victims don't report, nobody else reports, and so how are the authorities supposed to know that there is anything to investigate?

Yearly Physical examinations of vulnerable girls? Or would this be too invasive?

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Digital crime was never an issue before 20 years ago.  Times change, try to keep up.

I'm not really sure how to take that. "times change, try to keep up" is the sort of thing someone would say about positive change. Are you suggesting I'm a bigoted stick in the mud for not accepting genital mutilation in our country?

You surprise me every day.

1 hour ago, danot said:

Yearly Physical examinations of vulnerable girls? Or would this be too invasive?

Almost certainly so.

1 hour ago, Hots on said:

I'm not really sure how to take that. "times change, try to keep up" is the sort of thing someone would say about positive change. Are you suggesting I'm a bigoted stick in the mud for not accepting genital mutilation in our country?

You surprise me every day.

No, not suggesting that at all.

Your anti immigrant stance however, that's a different kettle of fish.

Edited by Cyclone

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Almost certainly so.

Is that to examinations or it being too invasive? 

Edited by danot