Should Corbyn ignore the smears against him?

There have been a number of allegations made by a number of Tory Ministers against Jeremy Corbyn is a traitor, and has sold British secrets to communist spies.

It was either the Tory Chairman or the Defence Secretary who stated that:

“Corbyn sold British secrets to communist spies...get some perspective mate!! Your priorities are a bit awry!" (On Twitter)

Another Minister has claimed that Mr Corbyn is like 'Kim Philby'. That he's treasonous.

I just wonder if you think any of this mud sticks in the mind's of the public (which I guess is the hope of those who are making these allegations). Could Jeremy Corbyn seek legal redress?

Edited by Mister M

"smears" ???

Last time I checked there are still various reports coming out. Lots of paperwork not being disclosed. Lots of questions remaining unanswered with Saint Jeremy very evasive about answering them. Lots of petty squbbling and finger pointing at the media without matter at hand being addressed. Lots of new discoveries still flying around even from sources outside of our own remit.

Yes, Corbyn has quite rightly consulted the lawyers and yes the tweets have disappeared but I dont think the work is over yet.

Are we yet in a position to universally dismiss the allegations as so called smears?

I'm certainly not. I want more facts and I want the so called future leader of this country to man up and actually answer some questions.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Jeremy Corbyn has had all sorts of vile abuse and innuendo levelled against him in the past and refused to be drawn. It's been nasty, sustained and relentless, but this really is in a different league. He's said he'll sue and in this case I personally think he should.

Watch Andrew Neil questioning an embarrassed and squirming Tory MP on the subject.

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2018/02/andrew-neil-slams-tory-campaign-of-lies-and-disinformation-against-jeremy-corbyn/

As Neil says 'nothing but lies and disinformation about Jeremy Corbyn,' (and believe me, Andrew Neil is no friend of Jeremy Corbyn.)

Of course mud sticks. The Tory's entire operation against Jeremy Corbyn depends on it. They are so scared of him this is what they have to resort to.

If I was them, I'd be very careful; spies tend to be Tory toffs recruited from Oxbridge. I'd hate for journalists to start digging around in their ranks.

He should definitely ignore them.

The media campaign against him up to and including the last election, proved largely ineffective. A large part of it was targeted directly at Labour supporters who were repeatedly told "Look Labour will never win an election in a million years with this clown as leader". Now that has been well and truly blown out of the water, the likes of the Mail, Telegraph, Sun & Express are resorting to increasingly ludicrous allegations.

Anyone who remembers Blair twisting and turning in response to every criticism from the Mail and the Sun and how badly that ended, would see absolutely no sense in Corbyn paying any attention to any of these claims. Eventually the campaign will be seen as increasingly bitter and counter productive. At this point it will probably turn on Momentum and those on the left of the party by which time with Brexit stuck in the mire and the Tories abrogating all responsibility for domestic matters it will probably be too late.

"smears" ???

Last time I checked there are still various reports coming out. Lots of paperwork not being disclosed. Lots of questions remaining unanswered with Saint Jeremy very evasive about answering them. Lots of petty squbbling and finger pointing at the media without matter at hand being addressed. Lots of new discoveries still flying around even from sources outside of our own remit.

Yes, Corbyn has quite rightly consulted the lawyers and yes the tweets have disappeared but I dont think the work is over yet.

Are we yet in a position to universally dismiss the allegations as so called smears?

I'm certainly not. I want more facts and I want the so called future leader of this country to man up and actually answer some questions.

But doesn't the responsibility for giving these facts lie with those who have made the allegations?

It's a sustained attack by both the Defence Secretary, Security Secretary and the Deputy Chair of the Conservative Party. Presumably they must have evidence to substantiate their claims.

---------- Post added 23-02-2018 at 03:22 ----------

Jeremy Corbyn has had all sorts of vile abuse and innuendo levelled against him in the past and refused to be drawn. It's been nasty, sustained and relentless, but this really is in a different league. He's said he'll sue and in this case I personally think he should.

Watch Andrew Neil questioning an embarrassed and squirming Tory MP on the subject.

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2018/02/andrew-neil-slams-tory-campaign-of-lies-and-disinformation-against-jeremy-corbyn/

As Neil says 'nothing but lies and disinformation about Jeremy Corbyn,' (and believe me, Andrew Neil is no friend of Jeremy Corbyn.)

Of course mud sticks. The Tory's entire operation against Jeremy Corbyn depends on it. They are so scared of him this is what they have to resort to.

If I was them, I'd be very careful; spies tend to be Tory toffs recruited from Oxbridge. I'd hate for journalists to start digging around in their ranks.

Just watched that interview, an evisceration during which Baker was hiding behind 'the free press have asked questions,' whilst ignoring the fact that it is his colleagues that are making wild accusations.

of course they are smears, anyone who believes this nonsense must be stupid, anyone with half a brain can see whats going off, if that Tory Toff thought there was any truth behind the allegations, why did he withdraw his tweet? why didnt he stick by his words? yeah they are cowards running scared, i hope Corbyn sues his ass off

of course they are smears, anyone who believes this nonsense must be stupid, anyone with half a brain can see whats going off, if that Tory Toff thought there was any truth behind the allegations, why did he withdraw his tweet? why didnt he stick by his words? yeah they are cowards running scared, i hope Corbyn sues his ass off

Why must they be stupid?

This is the same Corbyn who was meeting the IRA and giving them support whilst they were bombing their way across the UK. He's a track record for picking out such situations - it's eminently reasonable to ask him such questions especially considering his current position.

Why must they be stupid?

This is the same Corbyn who was meeting the IRA and giving them support whilst they were bombing their way across the UK. He's a track record for picking out such situations - it's eminently reasonable to ask him such questions especially considering his current position.

Whilst our own government were also in negotiations with the IRA

Just after the Brighton bomb?

No they were not in any shape at all and even if they were what business does some jumped up backbencher like Corbyn have giving comfort and aid to the IRA? He should have been charged at the time I'd still like to see the little sod charged now for it.

Just after the Brighton bomb?

No they were not in any shape at all and even if they were what business does some jumped up backbencher like Corbyn have giving comfort and aid to the IRA? He should have been charged at the time I'd still like to see the little sod charged now for it.

Ooops, an inconvenient little truth isnt it? It deviates from the narrative somewhat..

Corbin openly supported the IRA while our government were trying to talk to them in order to stem the violence.

I always remember the stick Mo Mowlem received for visiting terrorists in jail to facilitate peace.

In the end she proved this was the correct path to take which led to the peace talks.

Ooops, an inconvenient little truth isnt it? It deviates from the narrative somewhat..

What on earth are you on about?