Cold-Calling and Spamming

Hi all,

This doesn't relate to lawyers before anyone thinks that.

I've discovered a bigger and more persistent pest - web designers and SEO people.

My company website was set up a couple of years back - 2013 from memory.

Since then, I've had occasional emails from companies wanting to re-design it, to sort our SEO out and offering all sorts of web solutions.

It really seems to have ramped up recently though. Today alone, I've had about 40!! I also have had calls from people in China and elsewhere offering these services.

I don't know why the sudden increase (perhaps the SEO people we do employ are doing a good job and the site is getting more noticed) but it's very annoying!!

Over the years, I've probably had 10 calls in 10 years from accident companies, but I've had literally thousands of emails from SEO and web people.

Is there any way to stop this now? Is it regulated? I don't know if the web market has a regulatory body to stop them doing this, in the same way that the SRA stops Solicitors cold-calling.

It's annoying though!!

</RANT>

SEO ? SRA ? to make this readable to non tech's these need explaining. To design someones web site gives that person an open book to insert a back door or malware etc. it's a bit like sending begging letters or spam, only instead of gaining pounds you have the chance of hundreds of thousands in one hit. There must be some sort of regulatory body that controls this type of thing but it eludes me, never heard of this before which makes me think is there something wrong with your web site, ie is it set up correctly.

Has your domain just autorenewed? Your contact details are usually available as part of the SOA fields etc. The vermin look for new domains and then spam you looking for work.

Get the contact info set to none public and it'll drop off their radar after a bit.

just have a whistle by the phone and blow it hard!!

I thought that was cockney for a suit?

Edited by Mister Gee

Hi all,

This doesn't relate to lawyers before anyone thinks that.

I've discovered a bigger and more persistent pest - web designers and SEO people.

My company website was set up a couple of years back - 2013 from memory.

Since then, I've had occasional emails from companies wanting to re-design it, to sort our SEO out and offering all sorts of web solutions.

It really seems to have ramped up recently though. Today alone, I've had about 40!! I also have had calls from people in China and elsewhere offering these services.

I don't know why the sudden increase (perhaps the SEO people we do employ are doing a good job and the site is getting more noticed) but it's very annoying!!

Over the years, I've probably had 10 calls in 10 years from accident companies, but I've had literally thousands of emails from SEO and web people.

Is there any way to stop this now? Is it regulated? I don't know if the web market has a regulatory body to stop them doing this, in the same way that the SRA stops Solicitors cold-calling.

It's annoying though!!

</RANT>

It ain't called the World Wide Web for nothing. Once you announce yourself to the World you are inviting everyone in, including the nuisances.

SEO ? SRA ? to make this readable to non tech's these need explaining. To design someones web site gives that person an open book to insert a back door or malware etc. it's a bit like sending begging letters or spam, only instead of gaining pounds you have the chance of hundreds of thousands in one hit. There must be some sort of regulatory body that controls this type of thing but it eludes me, never heard of this before which makes me think is there something wrong with your web site, ie is it set up correctly.

Apologies - SEO (as I've learnt from the multiple emails I get a day - Search Engine Optimisation - the people that tinker with your site to make it appear on Google). The SRA are the Solicitors governing body, who stop lawyers making cold calls, and made it illegal.

Apologies

just have a whistle by the phone and blow it hard!!

Even better, speak really quietly first so they have to ramp up the volume at their end!

I was told that I had a fault on my phone, acting vacant for ages the foreign person at the other end was clearly getting distressed and asked me what kind of computer I had, " A ZX Spectrum" I replied. In a very annoyed voice he replied "You are wasting my Time" and hung up.

Has your domain just autorenewed? Your contact details are usually available as part of the SOA fields etc. The vermin look for new domains and then spam you looking for work.

Get the contact info set to none public and it'll drop off their radar after a bit.

This is likely the right answer, agreed that it is annoying!