Why do we need a god?

That's interesting. So does that mean someone is actually taking notice now and acting upon it?

Not all schools were like yours.

Nor parents, either.

Not all schools were like yours.

Curt reply. I like that..!

What was your school like?.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain (John Lennon)

Because it's inherent in the human condition to look for reasons, to find patterns, to try and explain the unknowable.

Pretty much this in a nutshell.

We don't need God, we create God, when we don't have God we replace it with something else like politics or philosophy.

We're always going to have 'something' that justifies how we behave. Religion isn't the problem, human beings are.

If God is good, why does it allow bad things to happen?

If God is not able to stop the bad things, what's the point in there being a God?

If God allows the bad things to happen as a test of faith and loyalty, how can it be classed as loving when it treats it's followers like lab rats? Why would you want to be part of something like that?

If God has a divine plan, there's no point in praying. It's going to do what it wants anyway and you think you're important enough for it to change it's plans just for you?

If there is no divine plan and our fate is up to us, again, what is the point in being a God if you're not going to affect anything?

Looking at what's happened and is happening in the world, God either doesn't know or doesn't care. Either way, it shows that it is useless and there is no need for it to exist... which it doesn't because it's a man-made theory used to control primitive people.

God is a construct used to make the believer feel better about the suffering and complexity that is existence. If people need that then let them get on with it. No one has all the answers, we all have some kind of belief system/faith. Faith that you will continue to be able to exist and do what you do now when you have no way of knowing whether that is true.

Edited by TimmyR

I attended the funerals of three friends last year and one (so far) this year. Of these guys only one had any religious commitment, I go with the flow at these occasions, some folk need to hope, so what’s the harm in that?

God is a construct used to make the believer feel better about the suffering and complexity that is existence. If people need that then let them get on with it. No one has all the answers, we all have some kind of belief system/faith. Faith that you will continue to be able to exist and do what you do now when you have no way of knowing whether that is true.

But 'faith' can only take you so far. I can have all the faith I want in living a long, full life... but if I stuff my face with bacon, chips and beer for the rest of my life, no amount of faith and praying to a higher being is going to help me.

What faith in religion does is removes much of the responsibility from the person. It's easy to say 'it's God's will' when something hasn't happened to you.

I'm happy and content in the knowledge that there are no souls, spirits and an afterlife. I get my time on this planet and, when I go, it's a space for someone else to have their moment. I don't need anything else to look forward to after.

On Richard Dawkins' scale, where he's a 6, I place myself firmly at 7, and I'm happy with that.

But 'faith' can only take you so far. I can have all the faith I want in living a long, full life... but if I stuff my face with bacon, chips and beer for the rest of my life, no amount of faith and praying to a higher being is going to help me.

What faith in religion does is removes much of the responsibility from the person. It's easy to say 'it's God's will' when something hasn't happened to you.

I'm happy and content in the knowledge that there are no souls, spirits and an afterlife. I get my time on this planet and, when I go, it's a space for someone else to have their moment. I don't need anything else to look forward to after.

On Richard Dawkins' scale, where he's a 6, I place myself firmly at 7, and I'm happy with that.

Faith that a person will live a long and full life will give reassurance and comfort while alive. It won't stop a premature death, it can't, but it gives comfort and reassurance and that is the point. We need something to believe in because without it we only have nihilism and no one is happy in that state. My main point is, people have religion because they need something with structure and meaning. Religion provides them with that and we shouldn't begrudge them that. You help no one by presenting a list of logically reasoned statements why god can't exist.

Edited by TimmyR

I attended the funerals of three friends last year and one (so far) this year. Of these guys only one had any religious commitment, I go with the flow at these occasions, some folk need to hope, so what’s the harm in that?

People having hope isn't a problem, that's only one minute part of religion though. People cutting body parts off their children, people brainwashing their children to believe certain things, amongst many other issues, they're the problems.

---------- Post added 16-05-2018 at 13:47 ----------

Faith that a person will live a long and full life will give reassurance and comfort while alive. It won't stop a premature death, it can't, but it gives comfort and reassurance and that is the point. We need something to believe in because without it we only have nihilism and no one is happy in that state. My main point is, people have religion because they need something with structure and meaning. Religion provides them with that and we shouldn't begrudge them that. You help no one by presenting a list of logically reasoned statements why god can't exist.

Firstly, I would say only some people need something to believe in (if we're talking about the supernatural, inc. gods, the afterlife, etc.)

Secondly, why would there only be nihilism if people don't believe in the supernatural? I don't have any such beliefs but I'm not strictly a nihilist, as far as I'm concerned life is what you make it.

Thirdly, why would people be unhappy with nihilism?

(It would depend on your definition of nihilism I suppose)

Edited by RootsBooster

We need something to believe in because without it we only have nihilism and no one is happy in that state.

Not true. I and I'm sure many others don't believe in any religion, are not nihilistic and yet are very happy. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to have a faith and believe in religion. I just don't like the way it seems to propagate myths and tries to make out that their way is the only true way of living. All the time there is more than one God then the whole substance of religion is meaningless as then the question becomes.. which one is the real God?

People having hope isn't a problem, that's only one minute part of religion though. People cutting body parts off their children, people brainwashing their children to believe certain things, amongst many other issues, they're the problems.

---------- Post added 16-05-2018 at 13:47 ----------

Firstly, I would say only some people need something to believe in (if we're talking about the supernatural, inc. gods, the afterlife, etc.)

Secondly, why would there only be nihilism if people don't believe in the supernatural? I don't have any such beliefs but I'm not strictly a nihilist, as far as I'm concerned life is what you make it.

Thirdly, why would people be unhappy with nihilism?

(It would depend on your definition of nihilism I suppose)

I'm not talking about the supernatural, gods afterlife etc, I'm saying we all have some kind of belief system. We need structure to our lives, some kind of purpose. I sincerely doubt many people who consider themselves to be happy are going through their lives considering everything to be pointless. For example, I believe that by giving a little back in my local community that life will generally improve for me and for others. I believe that if everyone did this, we'd all have better lives. I'm not doing this because some God told me to but it is nonetheless part of my belief system (somebody somewhere will probably have told me to however, most likely my mother when I was a child). I think that having some kind of structure and purpose is a basic requirement of humanity. Without it humans are left with nothing to strive for and I don't see how anyone could be happy in that state

re you first comment. Brainwashing, cuttings body parts, other evil are not only a part of religion. Humans are inherently evil, we all have the capability to do wrong in certain circumstances. Comments like "all religions should banned" (not yours I know) are totally ill-considered. You can't state that we should rid ourselves of religion. What I'm eluding to above is that I think really we all have some aspects of religion in our lives. Nobody knows all the facts, we have to have beliefs to make sense of the world.

Edited by TimmyR

I'm not talking about the supernatural, gods afterlife etc, I'm saying we all have some kind of belief system. We need structure to our lives, some kind of purpose. I sincerely doubt many people who consider themselves to be happy are going through their lives considering everything to be pointless. For example, I believe that by giving a little back in my local community that life will generally improve for me and for others. I believe that if everyone did this, we'd all have better lives. I'm not doing this because some God told me to but it is nonetheless part of my belief system (somebody somewhere will probably have told me to however, most likely my mother when I was a child). I think that having some kind of structure and purpose is a basic requirement of humanity. Without it humans are left with nothing to strive for and I don't see how anyone could be happy in that state

re you first comment. Brainwashing, cuttings body parts, other evil are not only a part of religion. Humans are inherently evil, we all have the capability to do wrong in certain circumstances. Comments like "all religions should banned" (not yours I know) are totally ill-considered. You can't state that we should rid ourselves of religion. What I'm eluding to above is that I think really we all have some aspects of religion in our lives. Nobody knows all the facts, we have to have beliefs to make sense of the world.

Nonsense. Evil is a subjective term that wouldn't exist without humanity's definition of right and wrong.