'Private Rented Solutions' with Sheffield City Council

Has anyone had any first hand experience of letting with the 'Private Rented Solutions' team at Sheffield City Council?

I am trying to find a tenant for a relative's house, and after 2 bad experiences with previous tennants, and a disasterous encounter with a well known lettings agency who have messed me about for 5 months, I wonder if this is the way to go.

It's a nice house, furnished, (in an arguably not so nice area which might be putting some people off.) I know people have problems trying to find the money upfront for bonds, rents and agency fees etc and would be prepared to waive them, but I am advised by said letting agency, that this is worst thing I could do, so the house has stood empty for more than 6 months. It seems such a shame when there are homeless people on the street. Anyway I've been contacted by the council who told me about this scheme, and it seems like a good solution all round, and I would be happy to help.

However, this isn't my house, and I'm not in the best of health, so I am super cautious. I would really appreciate anything anyone who has had experience of renting this way, with this team, can tell me.

I thought you were totally against private landlords Anna..?

I thought you were totally against private landlords Anna..?

It's not my house. Owner is abroad.

I'm against people being on the street when there is a perfectly good house standing empty.

It's not my house. Owner is abroad.

I'm against people being on the street when there is a perfectly good house standing empty.

I know it's not your house..I read your post :)

If it was me, I'd give it a go. The council will support a new tenant with housing benefits to ensure arrears don't build up. Plus they offer a deposit.

Good for you Anna, here you go, Positive Action In Housing will put a refugee(s) in the house. Good people doing good work. Will be interested to hear how you get on.

http://www.paih.org/host-a-refugee/

t: 0141 353 2220

e: home@positiveactionh.org

w: http://www.positiveactionh.org

Offer a spare room or property to a refugee family or individuals trying to rebuild their life:

Hosting a refugee family or individual while they try to get their lives back on track is one of the most practical, life-changing things you can do for people who find themselves in a crisis situation. The Room for Refugees Programme gives people breathing space to work out their options, get paper work in order, find work and a new home. It gives hosts a safe and enriching experience.

Thankyou all for your replies. I've just had a 60 pages of info through from the Council. Wading my way through it, so plenty of information there. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Hi Anna

Is your property still available? I would be interested in renting the property for myself(retired female) and my grandaughter who is in full time employment. Please pm me if you are interested.

Kind regards

Carol

Hi Anna

I used to work in the "Private Rented Solutions" dept of the Council, so I can perhaps give you the advantages and disadvantages of their scheme, and also advise you about other options.