Restaurant with NY taxi outside Glossop Rd

I think it Barton's was further down the road where the new ice cream parlour is now though the original building was demolished.

No, the car was on the roof, if my memory serves.

Yes it was a different building back when it was Bartons with a lower roof, though i dont remember the taxi im pretty sure thats where it was.

No, the car was on the roof, if my memory serves.

The cab was generally parked in front,

It was a New York liveried yellow Checker with RSJ type bumpers if my memory serves me, it was 4 litre and weighed over 4 tons so there would have been problems putting it on any roof.

I used to see it driving around but last saw it on the drive of a large house Barlow way, many many years ago.

It was a New York liveried yellow Checker with RSJ type bumpers if my memory serves me, it was 4 litre and weighed over 4 tons so there would have been problems putting it on any roof.

I used to see it driving around but last saw it on the drive of a large house Barlow way, many many years ago.

Parking has never been my strongest point.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I used to see it around Barlow and Holmesfield and once had a lift in it up and down Ecclesall Road after talking to the driver about it. I remember him saying fuel consumption was fearsome.

I used to see it around Barlow and Holmesfield and once had a lift in it up and down Ecclesall Road after talking to the driver about it. I remember him saying fuel consumption was fearsome.

You’ve just jogged my memory, Ron Barton lived on Cowley Lane, it must have been his daily driver.

On 22/02/2018 at 09:13, Calahonda said:

You’ve just jogged my memory, Ron Barton lived on Cowley Lane, it must have been his daily driver.

Correct - this was his house back then which is currently on the market. I remember his yellow chequer cab well as I once drew it whenI was a kid for a competition he ran in his restaurant, and I won! We used to regularly go there for a burger in the 1980's! Great memories 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70874791.html

Ron's parents used to own/run the Robin Hood pub in Holmesfield.

A private house now....

Ron's Parents (Ron & Nancy) owned the Horns inn at Holmesfield (Where the Holmesfield bus turns round)

Opposite the Travelers rest or was.

8 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Ron's Parents (Ron & Nancy) owned the Horns inn at Holmesfield (Where the Holmesfield bus turns round)

Opposite the Travelers rest or was.

As well as the Robin Hood along the road, or is my memory playing tricks?!

Horns gone now, more the pity, and replaced by some rather nice (?) cottage-style housing at Buck Palace-type prices.

Travellers still there as you know, but a Thai restaurant...

Sorry to disagree with whoever posted the google street view map, but I’m 100% certain that Barton’s was further down Glossop Rd on the corner of Regent Terrace.

The building now appears to be called Jimmys Kitchen

There is a yellow American taxi parked just off Beighton road by the side of  a house opposite rainbow infants school. Maybe that is the one. You can see it on google maps but I do not know how to put it on to S/F.