Grey Skies, Nothing But Grey Skies..

Just now, Carbuncle said:

My bad, let me clarify my statement: the Earth does not remotely resemble an isolated system, not in anyone's wildest imaginings, not if one has spent all afternoon looking at Salvador Dalis in a centrifuge while tripping on acid, not even a little bit. It continually exchanges large chunks of energy with the rest of the universe. The Second Law does not apply to a system consisting of the Earth alone, not even if you put a ribbon round the 'haggis' and call it tJemima.

Your straw dog is nipping at your heals. Lol

I never said the Earth's climate was an "isolated system,"

Matter of fact I posted that there is really no such thing as "isolated system"  in nature, - WIKI

That's why those folks who demand $trillions to control the climate to a couple of degrees far out into the future have a REALLY BAD IDEA, Lol

Everything in the universe, is subject to gravity, dark energy, cosmic and an assortment of other radiation. Even empty space, a virtual vacuum, is a very busy place, we have learned.

But to get back on point, lets say the Earth and its climate are discrete, or even unique systems.

The  Earth's climate is  a function of gravity, atmospheric air pressure, energy sources such as the  the Sun, and to a lesser extent, Internal heat generated by radioactive decay, and the left over heat in its core from its formation , which together generates plate tectonics, earthquakes and volcanoes.

The Earth actually does a great job of providing a livable climate. which allows life to thrive above the Arctic Circle, in the driest deserts, and in the steaming equatorial jungles.

Wish the grey skies would come back.

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

Wish the grey skies would come back.

Friday is the predicted day for it to break and rain.

And inevitably....heavy rain warnings for the weekend.

Mite toasty innit.

Seen some very red folk today ,as a freckle face been cowering

On 08/06/2021 at 22:07, Padders said:

Nobody's complaining now.

I was!  i was overheating, quite seriously, couldn't cool down even with cold baths, bit frightening

Oh, well, grey all week now, holiday tiime disappearing, feel sorry for those whu have booked now overpriced UK accomodation!

Edited by gamezone07

Couldn't be greyer,

where is the much predicted heatwave(though hope its fresher than the last one.)

Well, well well, grey skies again indeed,

not good, no real spring again

We're Northern Europe, therefore our weather is more akin to Scandinavian / Canadian climes, so our summer is a mere 2 months, 3 at most, and not all that hot. Anything more is a bonus. We're also on the cusp of the jet stream which makes our weather very changable and precarious, and the gulf stream (which is slowing down apparently) and we get battered by the wind and weather off the Atlantic Ocean.

However we always seem to compare our weather to Southern Europe, ie. mediterranean countries and continental interiors and places we visit on holiday therefore we are  constantly disappointed. London also has a micro climate and is warmer and more like the continent, (and as we know, everything including the weather revolves around them...)

The good news is we don't have much in the way of earthquakes.

Edited by Anna B