Vodafone Broadband - Speed / Capacity Issue - S5

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance for reading.

Is anyone else having an issue with Speed on Vodafone Broadband or any Fibre Broadband in the S5 are?

I’m a really heavy user and have 30/40 devises connected at all times. The Vodafone router wasn’t able to keep up so I convinced them to give me my login details to use my own equipment.

I’m using a Netgear modem and Google WiFi which works amazing. 38Mbps Down and 9Mbps Up no problems. Even traffic internally between my Media Streamer and the rests of the house has perked up two fold.

Since January I’ve been seeing really slow speeds at peak times and I’ve reported this twice to Vodafone. The first time I was fobbed off and the second time they accused my own equipment to be faulty. After I plugged back in their router and got exactly the same results they started to take me a bit more seriously and I have a 3rd open investigation underway.

Now... just before Christmas the BT cabinet which I suspect provides my service was damaged in an RTC. Openreach have secured the cabinet the best they could as it needs a brand new instillation because the whole thing is bent.

I’m wondering if there’s been damage that would reduce the capacity of that cabinet just enough so that at peak times it can’t keep up but from 1am to 4pm it works perfectly.

It’s currently 15:45 and I’ve been getting 38 Down and 9 Up until about 15:30 when it started to slowly decline. I’m currently getting 16 Down and 8 Up but by 8pm it’s usually all the way down to 1.5 Down and 8 Up

Would love to hear your thoughts / experiences.

Cheers

Will

I've just joined Vodafone because they have only just starting providing fibre in my area, and I'm on the same package as you, I live on S58DL.

My broadband drops to roughly 20mbs between 5pm and 10pm. Its not as bad as yours and its not enough for me to complain.

I've read somewhere Vodafone is struggling to keep up with its demand due to being the cheapest fibre provider going.

Obviously they are struggling to keep up specially as more and more areas are being connected to fibre.

A person like you with loads of connections may need a better provider such as BT???

I've read somewhere Vodafone is struggling to keep up with its demand due to being the cheapest fibre provider going.

Obviously they are struggling to keep up specially as more and more areas are being connected to fibre.

Confirmed, I’ve had a reply from Vodafone on my latest fault ticket:

We have identified the root cause of your slow throughput, which part of the network called the cable link. During peak times there is a high amount of the traffic going through this and as a result it slows down for everyone using it.

The good news is that we are in the process of upgrading it and this is due to complete in March from the most recent update.

We do apologise for the amount of time it has taken to get to this stage, the upgrade process has to go through several stages including ordering, installation, testing and migration. We are at stage 2 (installation).

The initial completion date in March may have to be pushed back should any developments occur.

With this in mind, We shall be leaving a clear note on your Vodafone account which will allow you an option to leave the contract for the broadband without any penalty fees.

If you wish to wait to see how the upgrade progresses then please reply to this email asking for an update and we will respond as soon as we have something concreate for you.

I’m gonna stick it out for a few months but think I’ll probably leave if the upgrade isn’t in place by April