Old barley corn pub

3 hours ago, zakes said:

Old Barley Corn Pub

The Barleycorn pub, along with an estate agents office, became Henry's Bar. On the Wellington Street side of Henry's, there had been some shops at one time. I think there was a Pizza Hut in that row of shops/businesses. I believe when these businesses closed, a couple of the vacated ones were merged and became part of Henry's.

Anyway, I supped now and again in the Barleycorn (Whitbread) during late 60s-early 70s. Jim and Pat finch ran the pub then. The next pub they moved to, was The Old Harrow ('Arra'to those in the know)  at White Lane, ‘atween Gleadless Townend and Ridgeway. The 'Arra' was also a Whitbread pub.

1. The Barleycorn. In the left-hand room (viewed from Cambridge Street), 'ladies of the night were often to be seen. They usually sat on the long seating, directly across from the bar, suppin' (some swigged) haives of bitter, or at times, lager & lime. These ladies (who were jovial and friendly) were also at times (most evenings lol) to be seen parading themselves along Wellington Street. Some of these ladies lived in the vicinity of Havelock Square, but if business was urgent, then there was always Backfields, which ran (still runs) from Wellington Street to Division Street. Backfields didn't have lighting nor cameras in those days, because Sheffield Corporation used to be a caring organization then lol.

2.  Clarelou; Yes duck, Teddyboys were often to be seen at the Barleycorn (a revival came in 1973-74ish). They always looked smart and I don't recall them ever causing trouble. They were more interested in posing lol.

3.  Soft ayperth; post8.
Considering Big Ada had to get up very early in the mornings to sell her wares on Dixon Lane, I'd be quite surprised that she'd have the time and energy to traipse up to the barleycorn. I suppose it may have depended on where she lived.

Also Roger, I've been meaning to ask you a question for a while now. I once had 2 copies of an EP released by Sheffield University (the real university lol). 4 groups played (2 each side) on the EP. I've a feeling you played on it. Did you? and which instrument did you play? I can only remember the name of one band. The Addy Street 5.

4.  There are a lot of references to the Whetstone (Tetley) pub in the latter haif of this thread. I'll add on the Whetstone thread some bits of stuff I recall at a later date.

I think Big Ada lived on Arbourthorne and yes the Barley Corn was quite a walk -or amble in Ada's case- from Dixon Lane. She did frequent the BC though not that I was a frequent customer (only twice). Wonder why she didn't go in the pubs near to Dixon Lane or Pond Street, perhaps she had been 'discouraged' from them due to her perfect diction. manners and appealing persona.

Barleycorn customers falling out of the rafters toneet. I also used the pub in 1960 ish and Big Ada was usually stood at the bar on Friday and  Saturday nights . Shirley was the bar person and also a miner he later worked in the Travellers down the Moor with Len who was his friend .

14 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

Barleycorn customers falling out of the rafters toneet. I also used the pub in 1960 ish and Big Ada was usually stood at the bar on Friday and  Saturday nights . Shirley was the bar person and also a miner he later worked in the Travellers down the Moor with Len who was his friend .

Ey up Albert, another customer falling out of the rafters.. I was 18yrs old in 62, and the BC was a must visit place in my nights down town.

The characters were unbelievable , big  Ada, and Shirley remember them well, + the ladies.. showing my age but if only we had pubs like that now, sadly them days have long gone. Travellers was great too , had many a laugh with the great Ron Delta there.

51 minutes ago, Padders said:

Ey up Albert, another customer falling out of the rafters.. I was 18yrs old in 62, and the BC was a must visit place in my nights down town.

The characters were unbelievable , big  Ada, and Shirley remember them well, + the ladies.. showing my age but if only we had pubs like that now, sadly them days have long gone. Travellers was great too , had many a laugh with the great Ron Delta there.

I heard Ada used to be accompanied by a 'lady friend' in the BC.  Also, I wonder how she got home, surely a taxi ?

8 hours ago, Padders said:

And Rons relation who played the organ and drums , I forget his name but he also  backed artists in the Queens Road club .

Just now, Albert smith said:

And Rons relation who played the organ and drums , I forget his name but he also  backed artists in the Queens Road club .

Not forgetting the miner or is it minor bird in the Travellers who told one to go forth and multiply .

20 hours ago, St Petre said:

I heard Ada used to be accompanied by a 'lady friend' in the BC.  Also, I wonder how she got home, surely a taxi ?

I think you might mean little edna? who was about a quarter size of ada. 

On 11/20/2018 at 6:20 PM, zakes said:

Old Barley Corn Pub

The Barleycorn pub, along with an estate agents office, became Henry's Bar. On the Wellington Street side of Henry's, there had been some shops at one time. I think there was a Pizza Hut in that row of shops/businesses. I believe when these businesses closed, a couple of the vacated ones were merged and became part of Henry's.

Anyway, I supped now and again in the Barleycorn (Whitbread) during late 60s-early 70s. Jim and Pat finch ran the pub then. The next pub they moved to, was The Old Harrow ('Arra'to those in the know)  at White Lane, ‘atween Gleadless Townend and Ridgeway. The 'Arra' was also a Whitbread pub.

1. The Barleycorn. In the left-hand room (viewed from Cambridge Street), 'ladies of the night were often to be seen. They usually sat on the long seating, directly across from the bar, suppin' (some swigged) haives of bitter, or at times, lager & lime. These ladies (who were jovial and friendly) were also at times (most evenings lol) to be seen parading themselves along Wellington Street. Some of these ladies lived in the vicinity of Havelock Square, but if business was urgent, then there was always Backfields, which ran (still runs) from Wellington Street to Division Street. Backfields didn't have lighting nor cameras in those days, because Sheffield Corporation used to be a caring organization then lol.

2.  Clarelou; Yes duck, Teddyboys were often to be seen at the Barleycorn (a revival came in 1973-74ish). They always looked smart and I don't recall them ever causing trouble. They were more interested in posing lol.

3.  Soft ayperth; post8.
Considering Big Ada had to get up very early in the mornings to sell her wares on Dixon Lane, I'd be quite surprised that she'd have the time and energy to traipse up to the barleycorn. I suppose it may have depended on where she lived.

Also Roger, I've been meaning to ask you a question for a while now. I once had 2 copies of an EP released by Sheffield University (the real university lol). 4 groups played (2 each side) on the EP. I've a feeling you played on it. Did you? and which instrument did you play? I can only remember the name of one band. The Addy Street 5.

4.  There are a lot of references to the Whetstone (Tetley) pub in the latter haif of this thread. I'll add on the Whetstone thread some bits of stuff I recall at a later date.

A lot of underage drinkers around that time in the  Barleycorn some of em still at school .The cops had a good time filling in their arrest rota.

i would have thought some one would have some memories of the toilet in the left hand side room,  especially the door?

Old Barley Corn Pub [CORRECTED]

1. The Barleycorn. In the left-hand room (viewed from Cambridge Street), 'ladies of the night were often to be seen. They usually sat on the long seating, directly apross from the bar, suppin' (some swigged) haives of bitter, or at times, lager & lime. These ladies (who were jovial and friendly) were also at times (most evenings lol) to be seen parading themselves along Wellington Street. Some of these ladies lived in the vicinity of Havelock Square, but if business was urgent, then there was always Backfields, which ran (still runs) from Wellington Street to Division Street. Backfields didn't have lighting nor cameras in those days, because Sheffield Corporation used to be a caring organization then lol.

3.  Soft ayperth; post8.

My uncle and Auntie, Dennis & Nora Hague were landlord and landlady of the Barleycorn in the 1970’s.  my dad Norman used tell us about the “ladies”  one of them was called Diane, mum has been trying to remember the other “lady”. Apparently they were great days. 

Happy Daze - first in the line up (from the left) Big Al  the rest for the time being the names elude me.

586e16191ae8a_Barleycorn1974.jpg.7bf371a1cb929806305ef6ea4db6beb8.jpg