Old barley corn pub

Didn't the old Barley corn become Henry's.

Yes it did, the upper storeys are still original.

And The Whetstone was a "round the corner" replacement for the Travellers, if my memory is not playing tricks.

Nothing could replace the Travellers. :)

Nothing could replace the Travellers. :)

Lol, I have often wondered if the mynah bird got stuffed, it was so famous.

Lol, I have often wondered if the mynah bird got stuffed, it was so famous.

Wasn't 'Get stuffed!' one of its .....er, catch phrases? :hihi:

Wasn't there a pub next to Daveys bakery and cafe, opposite what was Woolworths, now Wilko? I seem to remember a pub there maybe a Tetleys. Also what was the one in Fitzalan Square near to the Classic, remember walking past there with my dad avoiding a couple of blokes who were having a right set to on the pavement.

Wasn't there a pub next to Daveys bakery and cafe, opposite what was Woolworths, now Wilko? I seem to remember a pub there maybe a Tetleys. Also what was the one in Fitzalan Square near to the Classic, remember walking past there with my dad avoiding a couple of blokes who were having a right set to on the pavement.

The one next door to the Classic was The Bell. Get back on the other one, gone foggy lol Fog cleared, I believe you are thinking of the Brunswick, if you mean Haymarket Woolies. By the way a set to on the pavement could not have identified the pub, it would probably have fitted every pub in the land in those days. LOL

Edited by Ontarian1981

Yes Haymarket Woolies, must be about 50 years since saw them scrapping outside the Bell, funny how some things stick in your memory. lol

Yes Haymarket Woolies, must be about 50 years since saw them scrapping outside the Bell, funny how some things stick in your memory. lol

The last time I was in the Bell was on my 18th birthday in 1963 ( 55years ago). I always remember getting on the massive weighing scale which was located in an area en route to the toilets. I tipped off at 18 stone and froze. I started working on that and was down to 12 stone in about 2 years. What a wake up call 18 stone on your 18th birthday eh?:o

'The Bell' Fitzalan Square was Tetley's, The 'Brunswick', Haymarket was Tennant[s (later Whitbread's.)

Brunswick, I think, a Whitbread house. Used to go in there mid seventies if we got rained off on the sites.

Old Barley Corn Pub

The Barleycorn pub, along with an estate agents office, became Henry's Bar. On the Wellington Street side of Henry's, there had been some shops at one time. I think there was a Pizza Hut in that row of shops/businesses. I believe when these businesses closed, a couple of the vacated ones were merged and became part of Henry's.

Anyway, I supped now and again in the Barleycorn (Whitbread) during late 60s-early 70s. Jim and Pat finch ran the pub then. The next pub they moved to, was The Old Harrow ('Arra'to those in the know)  at White Lane, ‘atween Gleadless Townend and Ridgeway. The 'Arra' was also a Whitbread pub.

1. The Barleycorn. In the left-hand room (viewed from Cambridge Street), 'ladies of the night were often to be seen. They usually sat on the long seating, directly across from the bar, suppin' (some swigged) haives of bitter, or at times, lager & lime. These ladies (who were jovial and friendly) were also at times (most evenings lol) to be seen parading themselves along Wellington Street. Some of these ladies lived in the vicinity of Havelock Square, but if business was urgent, then there was always Backfields, which ran (still runs) from Wellington Street to Division Street. Backfields didn't have lighting nor cameras in those days, because Sheffield Corporation used to be a caring organization then lol.

2.  Clarelou; Yes duck, Teddyboys were often to be seen at the Barleycorn (a revival came in 1973-74ish). They always looked smart and I don't recall them ever causing trouble. They were more interested in posing lol.

3.  Soft ayperth; post8.
Considering Big Ada had to get up very early in the mornings to sell her wares on Dixon Lane, I'd be quite surprised that she'd have the time and energy to traipse up to the barleycorn. I suppose it may have depended on where she lived.

Also Roger, I've been meaning to ask you a question for a while now. I once had 2 copies of an EP released by Sheffield University (the real university lol). 4 groups played (2 each side) on the EP. I've a feeling you played on it. Did you? and which instrument did you play? I can only remember the name of one band. The Addy Street 5.

4.  There are a lot of references to the Whetstone (Tetley) pub in the latter haif of this thread. I'll add on the Whetstone thread some bits of stuff I recall at a later date.

The Barleycorn became the Cambridge before it became Henry's. As Zakes says, it was combined with Goffs estate agents on the corner which had previously been a printers.