Laying a new drive

I am in the process of arranging for a builder to construct a new drive at our home. Ahead of any quotes I get, does anyone have a good idea how much a new drive should cost per square meter?

The price will include digging out the drive space, removal of waste material, laying a hard core foundation layer and likely surfacing with tarmac. Some surface water drainage channels and edging will also be also required.

Can anyone give a ball park figure of what I should expect to pay on a per square meter basis?

Thanks

We've had lots of quotes for various things to be done. Depending on what you want, our quotes were coming in at roughly £50 psqm

Great thanks - actually less than I was thinking :-) What type of surface was that for?

That was for both block paving bricks or pattern imprinted concrete.

Stuff like Indian stone is a lot dear, from about £75-120 psqm

Thansk - I'd not considered anything like the stone you mention. I'm just considering either aphalt or some form of block paving. Main consideration is how durable the surfaces are. I've been told that icy conditions and the use of rock salt to clear snow can damage some materials used for surfacing.

I would avoid imprinted concrete. We had an area done for convenience and speed, and it's so treacherously slippery on slopes that we walk up the side of it. Also, the colour is basically painted on and it wears off.

Thansk - I'd not considered anything like the stone you mention. I'm just considering either aphalt or some form of block paving. Main consideration is how durable the surfaces are. I've been told that icy conditions and the use of rock salt to clear snow can damage some materials used for surfacing.

just remember an impermeable surface like tarmac or concrete requires planning permission.

block paving does not as water can get through to drain, indian stone is not suitable for a driveway.

Indian stone IS suitable for drives if it’s laid properly and is far better than tarmac or blockpaveing mines been down 7 years now with a van and cars parked on it no problems whatsoever just needs a jet wash annually and looks far superior

just remember an impermeable surface like tarmac or concrete requires planning permission.

block paving does not as water can get through to drain, indian stone is not suitable for a driveway.

It doesn't always. It your drives drains into grass or a border it can often not be needed. They'll tell you when you get the quote I'm sure.

Thanks for all your further replies. We have a builder visiting this weekend who I trust to do a good job, but I would value any recommendations to other companies that have laid drives for any other people on the forum.

Any suggestions for companies that are pleasant to deal with and do good work?

Indian stone IS suitable for drives if it’s laid properly and is far better than tarmac or blockpaveing mines been down 7 years now with a van and cars parked on it no problems whatsoever just needs a jet wash annually and looks far superior

still not really suitable as its very porous and soaks up liquids and stains especially oil and cleaning materials. jet wash wont get rid of oil.

Can't beat 6" of concrete in my opinion and think it's madness paying many thousands of pounds for a drive. Every house I have been at I have concreted the driveway and never had a problem !