Tom Daley and partner expecting!!

So where do all the Gay people come from to start with? Surely by your reckoning all the children brought up by straight parents will turn out straight?

Do think a child brought up by Tom Daley, is more likely or less likely to turn out to be good at diving than a child brought up by parents, who have no interest in any sports involving water?

Do think a child brought up by Tom Daley, is more likely or less likely to turn out to be good at diving than a child brought up by parents, who have no interest in any sports involving water?

More likely - but if you're attempting to suggest that gay parents = more gay children science says you're wrong.

More likely - but if you're attempting to suggest that gay parents = more gay children science says you're wrong.

I am not a scientist. However, I do have an open mind and don't think it is either illogical or irrational to consider the possibility, that a child brought up by an opposite sex couple is more likely to turn out to be straight than a child brought up by a same sex couple.

Do you have an open mind?

Your analogy only works if you can in fact teach someone to be gay.

You have to prove that first before your argument has any chance of succeeding.

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 09:54 ----------

I am not a scientist. However, I do have an open mind and don't think it is either illogical or irrational to consider the possibility,

Why?

If you have a hypothesis then you need to provide supporting evidence

Your analogy only works if you can in fact teach someone to be gay.

I'm treading VERY carefully here, but for the purposes of a widened horizon you'll find it interesting to read the anecdotes of people who had gay parents on that Christian marriage website. As I say, treading carefully, take at face value, caveats, etc.

So you think a gay parent will actively train their kid to be gay. Is that really true?

I'm treading VERY carefully here, but for the purposes of a widened horizon you'll find it interesting to read the anecdotes of people who had gay parents on that Christian marriage website. As I say, treading carefully, take at face value, caveats, etc.

Testimonials, unverified, on a website with an agenda... :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 10:51 ----------

I am not a scientist. However, I do have an open mind and don't think it is either illogical or irrational to consider the possibility, that a child brought up by an opposite sex couple is more likely to turn out to be straight than a child brought up by a same sex couple.

Do you have an open mind?

In January, researchers from the Columbia Law School examined 76 studies published after 1985 and found that only four of them concluded that children raised by gay couples faced additional adversity as a result of having same-sex parents. To be considered, each of the studies had to meet established guidelines that accounted for credibility and relevance.

“I found overwhelming evidence that scientists agree that there is not a negative impact to children of same-sex couples,” says Jimi Adams, a sociologist at the University of Colorado at Denver and co-author of the paper.

All of the available evidence demonstrates that the sexual orientation of parents has no impact on the sexual orientation of their children and that children of lesbian and gay parents are no more likely than any other child to grow up to be gay.9 There is some evidence that children of gays and lesbians are more tolerant of diversity, but this is certainly not a disadvantage. Of course, some children of lesbians and gay men will grow up to be gay, as will some children of heterosexual parents. These children will have the added advantage of being raised by parents who are supportive and accepting in a world that can sometimes be hostile.

Is your mind open enough to consider changing your opinion?

So you think a gay parent will actively train their kid to be gay. Is that really true?

Very unlikely. However it will appear to be a more normal circumstance to that "kid" than it would to conventional parent's "kids".

I wouldnt take a thing from that site as being even remotely credible and truthful though. They have an agenda and certainly will be dishonest in presenting evidence.

Testimonials, unverified, on a website with an agenda... :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 10:51 ----------

Is your mind open enough to consider changing your opinion?

76 is a relatively small sample. The scientists may have had an agenda. I remain open minded on this subject.

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 11:09 ----------

Very unlikely. However it will appear to be a more normal circumstance to that "kid" than it would to conventional parent's "kids".

Exactly, just as it would appear normal to a kid to dive into water from a ten metre platform, if his father was an Olympic diver.

You have a hypothesis that children brought up in a famliy with same sex parents are more likely to be gay. Is that correct?

I never said anything about training.

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 11:13 ----------

You have a hypothesis that children brought up in a famliy with same sex parents are more likely to be gay. Is that correct?

Already stated I am not a scientist. I have no hypothesis. I only stated it is not irrational to consider the possibility you mention.