Tom Daley and partner expecting!!

Hi,

I think it means that they have reached an arrangement whereby in a few months they will indeed expect and/or hope to receive a baby. I suppose that is the correct meaning of the word "expecting", although often we use it to mean that someone is pregnant.

I don't think you really think you've missed something in the evolution of man, otherwise you wouldn't be so confused in your earlier sentence.

Similarly, as a surrogate is defined as a "substitute, especially someone deputizing for another", I think the "paid or borrowed" part is unnecessary.

However, as Mel has said, I guess this is a rant about gays or newspapers making sensationalist headlines.... but I don't see how that will lead to an explanation of how kids are so screwed up nowadays.

I think the headline is deliberately misleading, and the article you linked to does not clearly state where the anticipated baby (does that phrase work for you?) is coming from. Whether that is a product of newspapers trying to sell or an attempt to be more inclusive given people's different sexualities, I'm not sure.

i wouldnt even waste time speaking facts, he aint bothered

A non entity making news for having a baby is the strangest thing about this story.

A non entity making news for having a baby is the strangest thing about this story.

a non entity? i take it youre a better world class diver then? you must have a room full of world championship and olympics medals and trophies :thumbsup:

If the likes of posh spice, beyonce or the royals get in the news for having a baby why cant a bloke?

One possible reason for couching the headlines in those terms is to appear to give parity with heterosexual couples. Arguably, it is disingenuous because a homosexual couple cannot ‘expect’ a baby in the way that we understand a heterosexual couple can due to the facts that only one of them is genetically related to the infant and neither of them can become pregnant. However, unless the baby’s mother changes her mind, they are anticipating a baby to come into their lives at some point so can be said to be ‘expecting a baby’.

One possible reason for couching the headlines in those terms is to appear to give parity with heterosexual couples. Arguably, it is disingenuous because a homosexual couple cannot ‘expect’ a baby in the way that a heterosexual couple can due to the facts that only one of them is genetically related to the infant and neither of them can become pregnant. However, unless the baby’s mother changes her mind, they are anticipating a baby to come into their lives at some point so can be said to be ‘expecting a baby’.

somebodys already said, the term expecting is used differently, but the same, its like saying im expecting the gasman coming, but i hope hes not gonna drop out of mi arse in 9 minths time Oo

Two words spring to mind: Grow up.

You think it's bad on here?

The Facebook comments on the various news stories were frankly disgusting. Let them be happy! They're excited about a new life. No one gives heterosexual couples who use a surrogate such a hard time.

Sadly, it seems that some people still live in the 70s.

There are hundreds of British sportspeople far more successful than Daley. Never mind successful people from other walks of life who children we don't hear about. In the grand scheme of things Daleys accomplishments are nothing special.

Maybe just maybe you are clutching at straws to launch a personal attack because I keep pointing out your astounding hypocrisy on other threads :cool:

There are hundreds of British sportspeople far more successful than Daley. Never mind successful people from other walks of life who children we don't hear about. In the grand scheme of things Daleys accomplishments are nothing special.

Maybe just maybe you are clutching at straws to launch a personal attack because I keep pointing out your astounding hypocrisy on other threads :cool:

:hihi:

Okay, given that they are a gay couple, they are not expecting in the 'traditional' sense, but are using a surrogate.

So what is it about this story that outrages you so much? A gay couple raising a child; or that other children will be screwed up because the English language has not been used properly in this particular case, and they will become confused?

Nothing to do with them being gay, but how about, given chronic over-population on planet earth; why don't they adopt, rather than bring yet another life in to the world?

On a day where there's been another shooting of schoolchildren and you choose this to start a thread? How, exactly, does this story affect you and why are you so excited that you need to add superfluous punctuation?

Yeah thats right, the world must come to a standstill because some people got shot in another country, you better stop using forums completely until the Syrian conflict comes to an end.

So Tom Daley olympic diver and Partner Dustin lance Black are now

"expecting " their first baby!! oh really????? how does that happen then? have we missed something in the evolution of man?

no! they have paid or borrowed a surrogate, they are not expecting ! god its no wonder kids are screwed up nowadays.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/14/tom-daley-and-dustin-lance-black-expecting-their-first-child

I think you need to do some reading on this matter.

Research shows that children raised by gay or lesbian parents do as well as other children in terms of well-being, adjustment, functioning and peer relationships, and researchers have found no differences in terms of depression, anxiety and self-esteem

http://www.medicaldaily.com/do-same-sex-parents-impact-mental-health-their-children-some-us-states-say-yes-and-prohibit-lgbt

Nothing to do with them being gay, but how about, given chronic over-population on planet earth; why don't they adopt, rather than bring yet another life in to the world?

their personal choice? im sure theyve looked at all options and chose the one for them? just like all families to be