Tom Daley and partner expecting!!

So Tom Daley olympic diver and Partner Dustin lance Black are now

"expecting " their first baby!! oh really????? how does that happen then? have we missed something in the evolution of man?

no! they have paid or borrowed a surrogate, they are not expecting ! god its no wonder kids are screwed up nowadays.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/14/tom-daley-and-dustin-lance-black-expecting-their-first-child

Edited by realcockney

"expecting " their first baby!! oh really????? how does that happen then? have we missed something in the evolution of man?

no! they have paid or borrowed a surrogate, they are not expecting ! god its no wonder kids are screwed up nowadays.

The English language does get rather warped in the media, paying for sex with a prostitute is now being called abuse.

Expecting is normally another term for pregnant.

Okay, given that they are a gay couple, they are not expecting in the 'traditional' sense, but are using a surrogate.

So what is it about this story that outrages you so much? A gay couple raising a child; or that other children will be screwed up because the English language has not been used properly in this particular case, and they will become confused?

Okay, given that they are a gay couple, they are not expecting in the 'traditional' sense, but are using a surrogate.

So what is it about this story that outrages you so much? A gay couple raising a child; or that other children will be screwed up because the English language has not been used properly in this particular case, and they will become confused?

The outrage as you say is the child when it grows up has a pretty wild story on how he or she was conceived dont you think?? my two dads did what? into what ? together and then impregnated the mother? or did they both bite the bullet and make love to her? confused and repulsed probably.

why not do it quietly and say they are adopting just like any other couple, or a nameless surrogate. No because they are who they are famous and they feel the need to embellish the whole thing "expecting my ****:loopy:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/14/tom-daley-and-dustin-lance-black-expecting-their-first-child

On a day where there's been another shooting of schoolchildren and you choose this to start a thread? How, exactly, does this story affect you and why are you so excited that you need to add superfluous punctuation?

I must admit the wording of the BBC article was a bit odd, made it sound like one of the two had become pregnant.

So what is it about this story that outrages you so much?

let me guess

a gay couple

raising children

its not normal

dribble dribble rant rant rave

I suppose the very fact that they are famous means that their story is going to be plastered all over the media.

As for the child, well I'm sure he/she will be loved. It doesn't matter if the parents are gay, straight or bisexual, or that they use a different term for its conception.

The outrage as you say is the child when it grows up has a pretty wild story on how he or she was conceived dont you think?? my two dads did what? into what ? together and then impregnated the mother? or did they both bite the bullet and make love to her? confused and repulsed probably.

Don't forget that the child will be growing up in the 21st century not the 19th so the wild story will not be so wild.

Don't forget that the child will be growing up in the 21st century not the 19th so the wild story will not be so wild.

People like the op still live in the 15th :suspect:

Hi,

I think it means that they have reached an arrangement whereby in a few months they will indeed expect and/or hope to receive a baby. I suppose that is the correct meaning of the word "expecting", although often we use it to mean that someone is pregnant.

I don't think you really think you've missed something in the evolution of man, otherwise you wouldn't be so confused in your earlier sentence.

Similarly, as a surrogate is defined as a "substitute, especially someone deputizing for another", I think the "paid or borrowed" part is unnecessary.

However, as Mel has said, I guess this is a rant about gays or newspapers making sensationalist headlines.... but I don't see how that will lead to an explanation of how kids are so screwed up nowadays.

I think the headline is deliberately misleading, and the article you linked to does not clearly state where the anticipated baby (does that phrase work for you?) is coming from. Whether that is a product of newspapers trying to sell or an attempt to be more inclusive given people's different sexualities, I'm not sure.