Monkey nuts,Tizer,etc

What were Monkey Nuts (not rabbit droppings)?

Do they still make Tizer if so were cab you get it from?.

Flying Sorcers?

Have you found it difficult to get Chestnuts these days?

It seems you can still get Tizer and flying saucers, also monkey nuts. In Lincolnshire we can usually get chestnuts in the autumn, though they are often imported from Italy. :)

Edited by hillsbro

Asaw were you watching the back in time programme last night?

Flying Sorcers?

Take great care how you use the word Monkey, unless you are actually talking about the animal itself. A recent thread on the forum concerning a piece of apparel that used the M word brought out all the PCs and SJWs in South Yorkshire.:D

Flying Sorcers?

Correction Tiger nuts

Yes I did watch the program .

granelli,s shop will probabley stock them.

Correction Tiger nuts...
The "Nut Bar" in the Moor Market still sells tiger nuts. They aren't actually nuts - they are the tubers of a type of sedge. I planted some that I bought from the Nut Bar and grew them. :) Edited by hillsbro

You can still get Tizer but it is not the same stuff as we used to buy in the 50s & 60s. Today's Tizer has a sweetness & blandness that the old Tizer did not have. The 50s/60s tizer had a slightly bitter edge to it as it contained hop bitters. As far as I am aware, Tizer is readily available in Tesco etc. By the way, weren't there such things as milk nuts in the 50s?

Edited by fatrajah

...By the way, weren't there such things as milk nuts in the 50s?
The juice of tiger nuts is sometimes called "milk", and in the 1950s Kenyons (of 'KP' fame) used to sell twopenny packets of nuts, including what they called "milky tiger nuts".

Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see Frank Randall at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.

Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see Frank Randall at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.

And 10 Woobine.

it's sad how some things have changed like tizer , lucozade the taste of some chocolates and sweets the list goes on stuff you can never have a taste for again gone I miss old tizer and lucozade it was so nice I bought a bottle of lucozade not long ago I thought it had already been opened and gone out of date so flat horrible taste