Dr Who filmed in Sheffield

It wasn't bad - first episodes with new doctors can be a bit tricky. Is she better than capaldi? Yes, by a distance. Is the writing better? A little bit, it feels like change. I like jodie Whittaker but ive only really seen her in broadchurch (very good in that) and st trinians (camped up northern raver - good fun) but, and I don't know whether it was the hair or the accent but she seemed to be channelling her inner Victoria wood - it was a bit off-putting - and that didn't work for me. I think she would be better if the script could let her go more over the top.

But in Sheffield!! Sheffield made sonic screwdriver!!!!

Take THAT L***s! ;)

I saw Jodie Whitaker walking around in Costco about a year ago.

First episode I've properly sat and watched since Matt Smith left as I really couldn't get into Capaldi. Generally of the same opinion as most here in that it was fine. The only thing that really annoyed me was Bradley Walsh's character's partner and her grandson's bloody appalling 'Sheffield' accents. I do really like the fact they've chosen Sheffield as a base though, that was one of my issues with the Eccleston/Tennant eras, and even into the Matt Smith ones was that it was like the entirety of the UK existed within Central London. Quite looking forward to episode 2 though, hopefully it'll flow a bit better now the core characters have been established.

If The Doctor takes on human form because he / have turned up on Earth, (why is it always Earth?), so as not to frighten us with their real persona, why then when they go to other planets, don't they take on the look of that planet's locals?

Surely if the Dr Who storyline was to be remotely authentic then the Tardis would have crashed into the Banker's Draft & the Dr would have emerged wearing a pink track suit, hair pulled tightly back, (Wybourn face lift), with a sonic screwdriver in one hand & a Greggs (chav dummy) sausage roll in the other.

There was shot of Wharncliffe Edge but it wasn,t overlooking Deepcar.

Wharncliffe Edge faces West and it would have been the Pennines in the background, instead it is flat. Something "digitally enhanced" maybe.

Also, the hammer in the car wind-shield; was that at the top of Hunterhouse Road, at Hunters Bar?

I thought the same as I used to live on HH road. Using Google Street View at the top of the road shows the same church in the distance as appeared through the mist in that scene.

My initial thought when watching the episode was the scene overlooking Sheffield was around Stocksbridge area but looking at this screen grab from the episode I'm starting to think it has been computer enhanced as I can't seem to match it up using Google maps.

I'm using things like the tennis courts next to the river on the far left hand side but can't match them up to anywhere from Middlewood out to Stocksbridge at all.

Also it was all filmed earlier this year but the trees are all in autumn colours so unless it was filmed a week or so before it aired on TV that also points to being computer enhanced.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GVXcKF1wjhKEviMM6

Edited by WaveyDavey

It wasn't shown on screen but the police box on Surrey Street got a namecheck in episode 2.

I know it's early days & we've got to give it a chance, but it's just not working for me. It just doesn't feel like Doctor Who. Something is missing?

I know it's early days & we've got to give it a chance, but it's just not working for me. It just doesn't feel like Doctor Who. Something is missing?

i thought this weeks was very good. one of the best for a long time, not sure it would have worked as well with one of the other doctors.

frightning in a different sort of way, especially when you consider the rise of some groups

i thought this weeks was very good. one of the best for a long time,

It's had a lot of good reviews, with a lot of parents watching with their children saying it sparked interesting debates about something which was happening not so long ago and within many people's lifetimes.

I half expected a 'post Brexit' backlash against it but it all seems to have been almost all positive.

Just caught the start of the latest episode and they were at Park Hill. Got me thinking about walking up and down that way from town and that dodgy bridge behind the train station lol

or going straight down City road, past Hyde park and over the magic roundabout