Everyone's salary should be viewable online

Public salary details  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Public salary details

• I would
    • I would not
    • Other people should but not me

It occurred to me that putting that sort of information in public would really encourage the cash in hand black market.

Of course it would

People earning over half a million and any bonuses they get should be made public and what their job description is. You never know they may deserve it.

Then put the wage of someone who works full time at Asda or similar next to it.

Not a chance would i let my earnings be shown online .

You never know who is watching. :)

If I had to have a guess it would probably be a couple of bob either side of £20.6s.1d a week?

Its everyones business what benefits people claim and the taxes they pay.
I've never claimed any benefits, I've always just paid for others to have the luxury of claiming them.

I know neighbours kept getting child benefit for their 2 kids for the last 3 years or so, and we didn't, even though -as a household- they were earning more than our household with their combined wages the entire time. So what, eventually made my peace with it.

I was always PAYE over here, so I doubt anyne's bothered about what taxes I paid.

People who earn more than me wouldn't care one bit, they contribute more to the pot than I do.

People who earn less than I do, would only care to know why I earned what I did and they don't (...they'de be welcome to be a director, taxman/NI stiffed me for 150% extra in my final pay last month because I was one).

So would it really make you feel better, if I came out clean and told you I earned x times yours, and am now moving countries to earn it x+y times?

I'm not convinced :|

Edited by L00b

People earning over half a million and any bonuses they get should be made public and what their job description is. You never know they may deserve it.

Then put the wage of someone who works full time at Asda or similar next to it.

Why though?

I know quite a few people who own their own companies that earn more than that. I know quite a few people that work incredibly hard physically and earn 1/20th of that. That's life I'm afraid. It's unlikely I'll earn £500k a year anytime soon, but I'm not jealous of people that do. They've worked hard and/or got breaks to get them there. Fair play to them.

Good point. A proportion of mine is investment income, maybe 5-10%. Revealing that could indicate scale of assets/investments.

I'm self employed through my own company, so the majority of my income is not salary.

Still, I wouldn't object to everyones tax return being publicly available.

---------- Post added 14-02-2018 at 10:08 ----------

Not being a burglar, I would not know how they select their next target; but isn't it real assets like cars/TVs/jewellery that they are interested in?

Aren't high income individuals likely to have high value objects at home?

Of course a burglar can probably figure that out from other information, such as house value, location, what car is seen outside, etc...

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

Do you have something to hide?

The classic lie.

This is a stupid poll every one a low salary will vote yes its common knowledge

any way as shop assistants / service workers / asda workers etc dont mind people knowing what they earn very little. All self employed will vote no you mind your own buisness as they work harder and not 9 till 5 :loopy: Its called comminision as lets get all the money in the country

together and share it out equal and when ive spent /wasted / my share we will do the same again

Half of this makes no sense, and the first bit is wrong. I'm self employed, work less than 9 - 5 and would be happy for my tax return to be shared.

In reality, if you knew my real name you could look me up as a director and get my company tax return anyway.

That doesn't work.

I have nothing to hide in, for example, my sexual preferences, such as gender of partner, colour of hair, body shape etc. The fact that there's nothing to hide doesn't mean I want people to openly know it. Ditto my favourite football team - I've nothing to hide there, but why should I be forced to reveal it?

If there's a genuine benefit to people knowing it, then fine. If it could stop crime or something, fine. It can't.

nobodys tax return gives a true picture of income its a generalisation!