Barnsley vs Sheffield town centre

I think he's still bemoaning the loss of the wonderful Castle Market and all its characters, the retail and cultural jewel in the crown of our city. All the 'Proper Sheffielders' used to go there until the council ruined their fun.

On 10/02/2018 at 15:16, choogling said:

Living in Stockbridge I find it easier and cheaper to shop in Barnsley, the town centre of Barnsley is undergoing a major refit at the moment the main market is being transformed along with most of the surrounding area .

Sheffield by comparison feels old-fashioned, threadbare and unwelcoming the recent moving of the market down the moor goes against the wishes of many locals, Barnsley has built a new small market along side the old one while redevelopment takes place.

Sheffield a city on the move ,yes downhill.

I would just like to remind all readers of my original post, it seems to have been hijacked ,basically all I said was I prefer Barnsley to Sheffield and still do .  

I know it's been a long time but I was in Barnsley yesterday and a real buzz about the place even on a Monday. There has been a lot of work done on the town centre and it is now a much more pleasant place to shop and eat than Sheffield City centre. And a few more Sheffielders who have been there lately have said the same thing. 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 21:38, choogling said:

I would just like to remind all readers of my original post, it seems to have been hijacked ,basically all I said was I prefer Barnsley to Sheffield and still do .  

I still prefer Sheffield to Barnsley, because they have ruined Barnsley for me. It started years ago, when they implemented a Craft Fayre instead of a Christmas Fayre.

2 hours ago, dacrlit said:

I still prefer Sheffield to Barnsley, because they have ruined Barnsley for me. It started years ago, when they implemented a Craft Fayre instead of a Christmas Fayre.

what about the rest of the year?

Looking at some of the comments at the start of this thread, what was true 4 years ago is still true now; sure, Barnsley is a nice enough little town, well put together area of shopping streets, a new arcade, market etc., but to compare it to Sheffield is nonsense, like comparing apples & pears. Barnsley is a town. There are individual parts of Sheffield city centre that do more for me than Barnsley does.

I'd rather shop on The Moor than in Barnsley. I'd rather have a night out in Kelham Island than in Barnsley. I'd rather work in the offices in St Pauls than any offices I know of in Barnsley.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal preference but that difference in scales renders such comparisons a bit useless really. You can claim Sheffield has gone downhill if you like, but I bet you vastly larger numbers of people live, work, shop, drink & eat in Sheffield city centre than Barnsley town centre still.

On 10/02/2018 at 15:16, choogling said:

Living in Stockbridge I find it easier and cheaper to shop in Barnsley, the town centre of Barnsley is undergoing a major refit at the moment the main market is being transformed along with most of the surrounding area .

Sheffield by comparison feels old-fashioned, threadbare and unwelcoming the recent moving of the market down the moor goes against the wishes of many locals, Barnsley has built a new small market along side the old one while redevelopment takes place.

Sheffield a city on the move ,yes downhill.

Quite a lot has happened to the town centre in Barnsley since I wrote this short letter of praise about the place, the redevelopment is virtually complete now as is the major road works linking the M1 via Penny Pie Park to the town centre. Parking is a very reasonable £2 for three hours in the station car park which is a flat ten minutes' walk to the shops. For those who are not so good on their feet electric buggies are available for hire at the charity shop opposite the picture house on Eldon St. Well worth a day trip from Sheffield by car, bus or rail .

7 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Looking at some of the comments at the start of this thread, what was true 4 years ago is still true now; sure, Barnsley is a nice enough little town, well put together area of shopping streets, a new arcade, market etc., but to compare it to Sheffield is nonsense, like comparing apples & pears. Barnsley is a town. There are individual parts of Sheffield city centre that do more for me than Barnsley does.

I'd rather shop on The Moor than in Barnsley. I'd rather have a night out in Kelham Island than in Barnsley. I'd rather work in the offices in St Pauls than any offices I know of in Barnsley.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal preference but that difference in scales renders such comparisons a bit useless really. You can claim Sheffield has gone downhill if you like, but I bet you vastly larger numbers of people live, work, shop, drink & eat in Sheffield city centre than Barnsley town centre still.

You are quite rightly entitled to your views on Barnsley, but you have miss-represented my original post somewhat.