Barnsley vs Sheffield town centre

9 minutes ago, choogling said:

last shot-view from a great snack bar

IMG_20190717_122431

Place looks like it’s heaving ;) If you’re on Twitter, send the image to Cold War Steve.

More importantly how much is the sausage, bacon or egg sandwich plus a drink?

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Place looks like it’s heaving ;) If you’re on Twitter, send the image to Cold War Steve.

More importantly how much is the sausage, bacon or egg sandwich plus a drink?

Thought exactly the same TFH.

Noticed not one piece of litter.

think the sandwich is £2.50 the tea is only £1,hot  sausage roll that's better than gregs 85p.

Edited by choogling

I enjoyed Barnsley when I was there a few weeks ago, it was a lot more modern and aesthetically pleasing than I remember it previously being. It seems a bit up and coming I think. I also like Sheffield centre though generally, so not generally a case of trying to compare them for me.

14 hours ago, Padders said:

Thought exactly the same TFH.

Noticed not one piece of litter.

Noticed how windy it is - probably blown away 😀

the picture you have been waiting for

cafe sign

The city centre is really taking shape now well worth a trip from gloomy Sheffield 

Son and his family live in Hoyland so I get chance to visit Barnsley town centre quite often. It's a pleasant enough stroll around, and has some decent shops and pubs. The museum's more than worth a visit, as is the Civic Theatre. All central. Big thumbs up for the free parking too. That's the way to do it.

My own city centre, here in Sheffield, confuses me. It sprawls. No clear hub, although Division Street comes close to having an actual vibe. Personally I was glad to see the back of the Castle Market. That, and the long-gone New Market, turned into dumps. The whole area became raggy-arsed, full of tat-shops. Woolies went, along with my beloved Revolution Records. There's nothing down there to draw me to that end of the city centre anymore. Moving the markets to the Moor was a good thing. The Moor - when it's FINALLY finished, will be a lovely social place to gather and have a bite to eat etc. But it's taking so long. I'll be long dead.

Where it all goes wrong, and what nobody could have predicted 20 years ago, is the phenomenal rise of online shopping.  Few would do a 'big shop' down Town anymore. I work in the city centre and the busiest I see it is when the Blades are at home on a Saturday. As a kid, when it was still possible to get buses up and down Fargate and the Moor, it all seemed to be buzzing. 

Another idea that could be re-discussed is selling all the many empty shops and turning them into places people can live, right there in the heart of the city. Families would snap them up, I'm sure. People living among shops means they'll spend in the shops next door. Rotherham in particular could benefit from this. Never seen as many empty retail properties. Rotherham centre's in its death throes. Painful to see its decline these past 10 years. 

Edited by wearysmith
missing 's'

12 hours ago, choogling said:

The city centre is really taking shape now well worth a trip from gloomy Sheffield 

Barnsley doesn't have a CITY centre.     Stop dreaming.   We all know you lot envy the status Sheffield has.

To be fair though, your new market building, leisure complex and extra shopping units are looking good and will all be complete soon.  You know, several years after Sheffield got theirs 😉

Edited by ECCOnoob

22 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Barnsley doesn't have a CITY centre.     Stop dreaming.   We all know you lot envy the status Sheffield has.

So much so that Barnsley is now claiming Oughtibridge is now in Barnsley.

The new development  being built on the old Oughtibridge paper mill had plans to name some of the roads after past well known people who use to live in Oughtibridge but the Barnsley Council object  as they see it as mostly connected to Barnsley.

There seems to be a Barnsley Sheffield border which is dictated  by the River Don  and Barnsley has the majority  in this argument as well.

33 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

So much so that Barnsley is now claiming Oughtibridge is now in Barnsley.

The new development  being built on the old Oughtibridge paper mill had plans to name some of the roads after past well known people who use to live in Oughtibridge but the Barnsley Council object  as they see it as mostly connected to Barnsley.

There seems to be a Barnsley Sheffield border which is dictated  by the River Don  and Barnsley has the majority  in this argument as well.

Just out of interest, which well known people used to live in Oughtibridge?

And just to keep it more on topic, I prefer Barnsley town centre to Sheffield's any day.

Edited by metalman

4 minutes ago, metalman said:

Just out of interest, which well known people used to live in Oughtibridge?

Arnold Minnis.......No?

Me neither.