Barnsley vs Sheffield town centre

Puts Sheffield to Shame?   Seriously.     You must be deluded.

Have you failed to noice the multi-million pound leisure development which opened several years ahead of Barnsley's.    Have you not seen the complete redevelopment of the Moor with new shops and further lesiure attactions opening in a couple of months time.  Have you totally ignored the multi-million pound commercial buildings which are about to open.    The refresh of Castle House and its new hipster central purpose.  

YES - Barnsley has a new market hall (....as did sheffield several years ago).    Yes, Barnsley is getting a new shiny multiplex cinema (Sheffield already has 4 in the centre alone).    Yes, Barnsley has a handful of new shop units but lets just wait and see what fills them before you get carried away.  I'm not expecting John Lewis or Debenhams to be moving in soon.

Face facts.   For all you may prefer it, its still a smalll town with small town mentality.    Pound shop central and seemingly proud of it.  

Guest busdriver1
16 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Puts Sheffield to Shame?   Seriously.     You must be deluded.

Have you failed to noice the multi-million pound leisure development which opened several years ahead of Barnsley's.    Have you not seen the complete redevelopment of the Moor with new shops and further lesiure attactions opening in a couple of months time.  Have you totally ignored the multi-million pound commercial buildings which are about to open.    The refresh of Castle House and its new hipster central purpose.  

YES - Barnsley has a new market hall (....as did sheffield several years ago).    Yes, Barnsley is getting a new shiny multiplex cinema (Sheffield already has 4 in the centre alone).    Yes, Barnsley has a handful of new shop units but lets just wait and see what fills them before you get carried away.  I'm not expecting John Lewis or Debenhams to be moving in soon.

Face facts.   For all you may prefer it, its still a smalll town with small town mentality.    Pound shop central and seemingly proud of it.  

So Sheffield with its Small City mentality is in your opinion better than Barnsley with its small town mentality. Personally, a lot of the things you mention as positives for Sheffield, many would see as negatives. They are different towns with different populations and different histories, so yes, they will be different. Many would say thank god for that as far too many towns these days are just clones of each other. A bit of a change is to celebrated surely? 

On 10/02/2018 at 20:19, ECCOnoob said:

.....by a online poll conducted by the Market Association Authority so in translation best INDOOR market as voted by those who choose to look on a market traders association website or those drummed up by lobbying by the market itself.

Hardly some national representation of opinion.

It didn't even make to win Britain's Favourite Market category..... that went to Shrewsbury.

https://www.nabma.com/shrewsbury-market-britains-favourite-great-british-market-awards/

For all Leeds faults, it's got a superb indoor market that puts both Sheffield and Barnsley to shame. 

On 10/02/2018 at 15:16, choogling said:

Living in Stockbridge I find it easier and cheaper to shop in Barnsley, the town centre of Barnsley is undergoing a major refit at the moment the main market is being transformed along with most of the surrounding area .

Sheffield by comparison feels old-fashioned, threadbare and unwelcoming the recent moving of the market down the moor goes against the wishes of many locals, Barnsley has built a new small market along side the old one while redevelopment takes place.

Sheffield a city on the move ,yes downhill.

To be honest, I wouldn't choose Barnsley town centre over Fox Valley retail park in Stocksbridge. 

5 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

So Sheffield with its Small City mentality is in your opinion better than Barnsley with its small town mentality. Personally, a lot of the things you mention as positives for Sheffield, many would see as negatives. They are different towns with different populations and different histories, so yes, they will be different. Many would say thank god for that as far too many towns these days are just clones of each other. A bit of a change is to celebrated surely

Yes it is.   But that is not the debate here.

The debate is Choogling's ludicrous suggestion that the piddly bit of redevelopment in Barnsley centre somehow puts "Sheffield to shame" despite the fact that Sheffield has undergone massive redevelopments which are significantly larger and more superior to what Barnsley offers.  A fact that Choogling seems to repeatedly ignore. 

14 hours ago, choogling said:

we are not talking about Leeds

Can't talk about Sheffield and Barnsley town centres without comparison with others nearby. And quite honestly there area fair few towns out there whose town centres put both Sheffield and Barnsley to shame. 

Guest busdriver1
14 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes it is.   But that is not the debate here.

The debate is Choogling's ludicrous suggestion that the piddly bit of redevelopment in Barnsley centre somehow puts "Sheffield to shame" despite the fact that Sheffield has undergone massive redevelopments which are significantly larger and more superior to what Barnsley offers.  A fact that Choogling seems to repeatedly ignore. 

Since it is all in the eye of the beholder it is wrong to say anyone is wrong. In my eyes Barnsley is OK and I would have no problems visiting there. Sheffield, I avoid at all costs. The fact there has been re-development in either is only relevant if said works are seen by the viewer to be beneficial. Recent developments in Sheffield can only be described by me as an attempt to polish a turd and we all know that cant work. There are some however who see them as improvements.

Did you just tell someone that having they're wrong to have an opinion about someone else's opinion being wrong.

Did you miss the irony in that statement?

Biggest problem with 'Tarn is the drug problem. Spice I believe is the drug of choice. I have to use the bank in Barnsley now our local bank has closed, and it's a real eye opener, folk laid comatose on the footpaths (bottom of market hill) with Police, First Responder and Ambulances , yes two of them in attendance just for druggies. The sight of these comatose individuals laid prostrate on the ground is a regular event, pictures are often shown on face ache book. The comments posted cannot be put on here for obvious reasons, language.

So that rules out Barnsley for me, sorry 'tarn.

Angel1.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Biggest problem with 'Tarn is the drug problem. Spice I believe is the drug of choice. I have to use the bank in Barnsley now our local bank has closed, and it's a real eye opener, folk laid comatose on the footpaths (bottom of market hill) with Police, First Responder and Ambulances , yes two of them in attendance just for druggies. The sight of these comatose individuals laid prostrate on the ground is a regular event, pictures are often shown on face ache book. The comments posted cannot be put on here for obvious reasons, language.

Angel1.

Never seen that myself in Barnsley but it must happen in every city at sometime or other ,I have seen it in barkers pool Sheffield last Halloween .

3 hours ago, Stoatwobbler said:

Can't talk about Sheffield and Barnsley town centres without comparison with others nearby. And quite honestly there area fair few towns out there whose town centres put both Sheffield and Barnsley to shame. 

Quite possibly, but we are talking about comparing Sheffield to Barnsley as a shopping experience ,we are going again on Wednesday ,first stop is the excellent little café up by the Alhambra cup of tea £1 and a sausage roll about 85p . 

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Sheffield is not without those issues. Seen it a few times in the area around the old Castle Market. 🙁

Princes chip shop makes visiting Barnsley worthwhile, beautiful chips.

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Did you just tell someone that having they're wrong to have an opinion about someone else's opinion being wrong.

Did you miss the irony in that statement?

I did state that " in my opinion" and " seen by the viewer " that should be clear enough for all but the most rigorous pedant. 

5 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

can only be described by me

See. as I stated, its all about an opinion. You have yours and will go to the ends of the earth to TRY and justify them, others just state them and expect normal people to see them as that and accept that it is THEIR opinion.