Barnsley vs Sheffield town centre

Not according to this from the same poster they dont.

Try visiting Barnsley ,completely different for example very large car park(£2-20)for two hours 10 minutes walk from market/town centre. Major redevelopment taking place to improve the town centre for the people not the council. Friendly shop assistants and never seen a traffic warden with his book out, a pleasure to shop there.

10 minutes walk from parking to destination seems fine in Barnsley but when it came to Sheffield they complain that they were stuck "...right down Fitzwilliam Street..." despite it still being in the city centre and being the same walking time to their destination.

As I said earlier. Moaning for moanings sake.

surely you spelt that sentence wrong? surely it should be "i live too close to Barnsley"?

Haha good one. :hihi:

Not according to this from the same poster they dont.

10 minutes walk from parking to destination seems fine in Barnsley but when it came to Sheffield they complain that they were stuck "...right down Fitzwilliam Street..." despite it still being in the city centre and being the same walking time to their destination.

As I said earlier. Moaning for moanings sake.

Walking from the bottom end of Fitzwilliam street to the city hall on a cold winters night took me and Mrs Choogling a lot longer the ten mins,if the car parking in Sheffield was on a par with Barnsley we would visit more, at night we only have one bus per hour were I live and a taxi is between 25/30 pounds.as for moaning for moaning sake why do you have to moan about my so called moaning.

Walking from the bottom end of Fitzwilliam street to the city hall on a cold winters night took me and Mrs Choogling a lot longer the ten mins,if the car parking in Sheffield was on a par with Barnsley we would visit more, at night we only have one bus per hour were I live and a taxi is between 25/30 pounds.as for moaning for moaning sake why do you have to moan about my so called moaning.

Was there really no parking in the huge car parks on Arundel Gate?

The one by the Odeon is about five minutes stroll from the City Hall.

It always has spaces.

Oh yeah, because Barnsley's dense BNP imbeciles have a stall in the town centre- very forward thinking and intelligent to attract foreign/business investment. :loopy:

Markets are much more suited to small towns and villages. If that's your thing, don't bother looking for such things in cities.

How is Sheffield downhill?!? The retail quarter is now underway, the New Era Square (Chinatown if you like) isnt too far from completion, Kelham Island is continually evolving etc etc

Comparing Barnsley to Sheffield is like comparing London to say - Sheffield!

But !!! in the so called new retail centre they are building a massive office building with a few (yet to be filled) shop units down one edge ,hardly a new retail centre is it.

---------- Post added 03-08-2018 at 08:35 ----------

Oh yeah, because Barnsley's dense BNP imbeciles have a stall in the town centre- very forward thinking and intelligent to attract foreign/business investment. :loopy:

Location Bournmouth ,speaks for its self ,I'll just put on mi flat cap and kick the whippet .

Living in Stockbridge I find it easier and cheaper to shop in Barnsley, the town centre of Barnsley is undergoing a major refit at the moment the main market is being transformed along with most of the surrounding area .

Sheffield by comparison feels old-fashioned, threadbare and unwelcoming the recent moving of the market down the moor goes against the wishes of many locals, Barnsley has built a new small market along side the old one while redevelopment takes place.

Sheffield a city on the move ,yes downhill.

Enjoy Barnsley Market while it lasts. If the current (labour) council ha e their way it won't be around for much longer. They're employing every dirty trick in the book to force traders to quit. (because some legal statute says they can't just close it). No traders, no market.

Dirty tricks such as:

Removing power facilities from the outdoor stalls

Doubling rates

Forcing indoor market traders to sign up to new contracts which give the council free reign over future increases

Forcing the same traders to rates 3 YEARS in advance

Submitting court proceedings for late payment within 24 HOURS of said late payment.

They (council) have already told a few traders that they're not bothered about small traders in the town as they don't fit their new image (Glassworks project, Barnsley's very own white elephant)

Guest makapaka
The last time I had to visit Sheffield we drove round for half a hour trying to park, this was at 8 pm all the car parks were full finished up right down Fitzwilliam St, we were going to the city hall. In front of the city hall was a fairground ride and an ambulance crew attending an unconscious man laid on a concrete mushroom thing. After stepping over pools of sick we went to the Yorkshireman pub and into a 1970s time warp we bought two drinks, one a half of beer and an orange juice that cost £4.50 we had a good night at the city hall and then endured the journey to hell by try to get out of the city centre,next time we visit in December it will be by supertram.

Did you swerve into some parallel dimension before finding a car parking space?

Barnsley vs Sheffield town centre? Barnsley any day.

Went to Barnsley a few weeks ago and town centre really superior to Sheffield, much cleaner, less undesirables hanging about and a good range of shops and the really good market. Best of all was Chesterfield - with street cleaners with brushes and long handled shovels. The centre was pristine with a lovely atmosphere and many of the popular shops .

Barnsley Town centres like stepping back into a time when people cared for each other ,had the same ideals and history ,and last but not least made each other laugh.

On 06/08/2018 at 08:12, Albert smith said:

Barnsley Town centres like stepping back into a time when people cared for each other ,had the same ideals and history ,and last but not least made each other laugh.

The shopping area around the market and up to the alambre  is almost complete and it looks fantastic , puts Sheffield city centre to shame.