Paternoster Lift. Sheffield University's Arts Tower.

The public are not "...allowed in the building if they want to venture in."

It is private property, they have never been public buildings.

You might be invited in to a foyer area to ask advice or information or see a display etc.

You cannot assume that because there is no barrier that you can walk into and around a building unless stopped.

The Arts Tower (and the paternoster) are open to the public. You don't have to take my word for it though, you can contact the Uni's Media Relations Officer and ask for yourself.

Apologies if this has been said before, but there is a story that at the opening of the Arts Tower a student went up in the paternoster to the top floor, stayed in it while it went over the top, and in that time stood on his head, so that he came back down the full 18 floors upside-down. Reportedly many observers were fooled, and this acted as a deterrent against staying in at the top and bottom. I have no idea whether the story is true.

Apologies if this has been said before, but there is a story that at the opening of the Arts Tower a student went up in the paternoster to the top floor, stayed in it while it went over the top, and in that time stood on his head, so that he came back down the full 18 floors upside-down. Reportedly many observers were fooled, and this acted as a deterrent against staying in at the top and bottom. I have no idea whether the story is true.

It`s not true. If you ride it over the top you remain the right side up. I`ve not personally done it but apparently it`s pitch black.

It`s not true. If you ride it over the top you remain the right side up. I`ve not personally done it but apparently it`s pitch black.

I know that. I've been over top and bottom. The point of the story is the deception by the student standing on his head for part 2 of his journey, creating the illusion that the carriage turns over.

Anyone know if the paternoster lift in teh Uni Arts Tower is still working and accessible to the general public?

December 2017 it was still working according to this BBC video. 

4 hours ago, MsAnnThrope said:

Anyone know if the paternoster lift in teh Uni Arts Tower is still working and accessible to the general public?

As its in the university, I don't think its ever been accessible to the "general public" as it were, without a valid reason for being on the site.

If you're like me and just wanted to have a play on it though, I would say the best way to get a go is to look like you're a student there, enter the building confidently like you do it every single day, and head straight for the lift 🙂  

A bit of research of what departments are on what floors could help if you're stopped by any security.  Just say "I'm going to the 12th to see <department name>".

On 13/09/2018 at 14:49, RootsBooster said:

The Arts Tower (and the paternoster) are open to the public. You don't have to take my word for it though, you can contact the Uni's Media Relations Officer and ask for yourself.

Or alternatively, the question was answered just at the top of this page.