US State Department calls waterboarding "exceptionallly cruel torture"

Well, I didn't see this one coming. In an article about the capture of British Daesh jihadists is the following:

The SDF handed the two men over to US special forces after suspecting they were foreign fighters, the Times reported. Their identities were then confirmed using fingerprints and other biometric measures.

According to a state department’s terrorist designation, Kotey operated as a guard for the “Beatles” cell and “‘likely engaged in the group’s executions and exceptionally cruel torture methods, including electronic shock and waterboarding”

I was pleased to see that the SDF had captured these <removed> but very surprised to see the US government describing their own 'interrogation technique' of waterboarding as 'exceptionally cruel torture methods'. Talk about what's good for the goose. I wonder if any Guantanamo lawyers clocked it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/08/british-isis-fighters-syria-defence-force

Well, I didn't see this one coming. In an article about the capture of British Daesh jihadists is the following:

I was pleased to see that the SDF had captured these <removed> but very surprised to see the US government describing their own 'interrogation technique' of waterboarding as 'exceptionally cruel torture methods'. Talk about what's good for the goose. I wonder if any Guantanamo lawyers clocked it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/08/british-isis-fighters-syria-defence-force

Is this the same waterboarding they used to call Enhanced interrogation techniques when Obama was in charge?

Is this the same waterboarding they used to call Enhanced interrogation techniques when Obama was in charge?

Obama signed an executive order early in 2009 banning waterboarding, although his pledge to close Guantanamo never came to pass and various human rights observers were denied access so we should retain some cynicism about the conditions the prisoners experienced.

But it was Bush, Cheney and Rumsfield who started the waterboarding, if you remember

My personal view would be simply dig a hole and put them into it. But having listened too the families whose relatives were victims of IS I can see why they want these vile scum in front of a judge & jury.

Waterboarding is too good for these two.

I have to concur. Let's hope they end up in the American penal system and not ours.

Angel1.

Waterboarding is too good for these two.

I have to concur. Let's hope they end up in the American penal system and not ours.

Angel1.

I'm confused...do you want torture or due judicial process? Think carefully, because one answer means you are just as bad as them, and the other means you are not.

I'm confused...do you want torture or due judicial process? Think carefully, because one answer means you are just as bad as them, and the other means you are not.

Torture sounds good to me

Torture sounds good to me

That's fine, at least you are honest and not mealy mouthed like some people. You have chosen to be just like them.

Torture for the sake of it against anyone is absurd.

But if* the security forces think that water boarding works and using it could extract information that could be used to stop something like the Paris, Manchester, Tunisia etc etc etc attacks then would you support it?

*And I post this knowing that it's a very big if.