D Link DI-624+ Router

Hello people

I have an acer laptop with a "wifi card (b type)".

I am using this with a "D Link DI-624+" Wireless Router.

I am running XP Pro

Can anybody suggest a better wifi card ( or anything else )than what is in at the moment.

This will not transmit through one brick wall and one stud wall a total distance of 5m.

Yet if I am directly below ( through floorboards )I get a perfect signal, but on the other hand if the latop is next the router the signal goes up and down and sometimes off.

If you look at the specs from here

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0350545085.1148834385@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddhljmifgmcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=SimpleSearchProducts&low_bound=0&up_bound=0&criterion=d%20Link&AtimeStamp=3326252914

I think there is something wrong.

Any help please

Regards

Tony

:thumbsup:

Can't say for sure a new card would fix the problems you are having with present card, but the card you have does sound dodgy. I have a feeling something maybe in the brick wall though like wiring that is blocking the signal. Wireless networks at times can be very finicky and need professional hands investigation.

A wireless g type card though would offer higher speeds ibetween computers if your router supports g type wireless (sorry haven't looked up the spec). For Internet use though a 54Mb over an 11Mb connection won't see speed ups on the Internet as I imagine the fastest your connection will be is 8Mb.

If you are thinking about getting a new PCMCIA card as it may fix your problems and will offer faster speeds then can't say I'm an expert on them as my laptop has decent wireless built in, but you should be able to find a decent card on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Anyway hope you manage to sort thing out, if you are unsure it maybe best to get in a professional to see what's happening at your end.

try wireless dongle on usb,works on a my daughters machine.

Hello people

I have an acer laptop with a "wifi card (b type)".

I am using this with a "D Link DI-624+" Wireless Router.

I am running XP Pro

Can anybody suggest a better wifi card ( or anything else )than what is in at the moment.

This will not transmit through one brick wall and one stud wall a total distance of 5m.

Yet if I am directly below ( through floorboards )I get a perfect signal, but on the other hand if the latop is next the router the signal goes up and down and sometimes off.

If you look at the specs from here

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0350545085.1148834385@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddhljmifgmcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=SimpleSearchProducts&low_bound=0&up_bound=0&criterion=d%20Link&AtimeStamp=3326252914

I think there is something wrong.

Any help please

Regards

Tony

:thumbsup:

try setting your router ariel 45 degrees off the vertical...