People Who Don't Pick Up After Their Dogs

Is it true that if you take your dogs into woodlands you dont have to pick it up if it's not on a footpath?

I quite often walk my dogs in the woods, loxley, agden etc but still pick it up..

Was just something i heard and i'm curious if it's true!

Is it true that if you take your dogs into woodlands you dont have to pick it up if it's not on a footpath?

I quite often walk my dogs in the woods, loxley, agden etc but still pick it up..

There was some crackers MP recently, who I can't even muster the energy to google, that suggested it was best to bring a stick and throw it into the trees (!!!) than use a bag to pick it up. She was of course the subject of a bit outcry and ridicule, and the odd person saying 'great idea' as you can imagine.

I'd stick with picking it up!

Guest makapaka

There was talk of DNA testing dogs and matching it against the mess on some kind of database.

Sounded a fantastic idea but heard nothing sense.

I regularly walk down Little London Road, so much dog mess down there. Someone is bagging it up but then dropping the bags everywhere. There are a couple of alcoves in the buildings where the stuff is building up. I swear some people would still do their business in the street if they could - let's bring back the Bubonic Plague!

They are just the same as you Vintagetin82 - i.e. they need to eliminate their waste. It is their human owners who are dirty because they don’t pick up after their dogs.

There is no species on earth that is as ‘dirty’ as mankind. We pollute the earth with nuclear waste, plastic waste, carbon emissions, our own bodily waste and goodness knows what else. Dogs and other animals are clean in comparison with that lot!

Yes i read it some place, Stick and flick they call it

There was talk of DNA testing dogs and matching it against the mess on some kind of database.

Sounded a fantastic idea but heard nothing sense.

The big down side of that is the fact that the DNA tests would cost well in excess of the £80 littering fine that could be recouped from the fine for proving that it was one specific dog that 'did the deed'.

It's one of those things that there's no single answer for, unfortunately.

I'm the sort of person who, if I'm driving and see someone not picking up after their dog, I pull over and offer them a bag. Generally speaking, they take the bag and use it in front of me, but of course I can't be certain that they actually deposit the bag in an appropriate bin. I do occasionally get sworn at, but that's going to happen anytime you challenge people, isn't it?

Needless to say BTW, my dog rarely goes out these days due to her age, but when she does, she is trained to poo on command, next to me so it's easy to pick up. She's also raw fed, so it usually picks up cleanly.

Guest makapaka
The big down side of that is the fact that the DNA tests would cost well in excess of the £80 littering fine that could be recouped from the fine for proving that it was one specific dog that 'did the deed'.

It's one of those things that there's no single answer for, unfortunately.

I'm the sort of person who, if I'm driving and see someone not picking up after their dog, I pull over and offer them a bag. Generally speaking, they take the bag and use it in front of me, but of course I can't be certain that they actually deposit the bag in an appropriate bin. I do occasionally get sworn at, but that's going to happen anytime you challenge people, isn't it?

Needless to say BTW, my dog rarely goes out these days due to her age, but when she does, she is trained to poo on command, next to me so it's easy to pick up. She's also raw fed, so it usually picks up cleanly.

Increase the fine to the cost of administering the DNA test then?

Increase the fine to the cost of administering the DNA test then?

And what if someone can't pay? If you're going to threaten them with taking their dog then that's really likely to be detrimental to the dog's life, which would be seriously counterproductive.

What really needs to happen is for it to become truly socially unacceptable to allow your dog to do this, and at the moment it just isn't so.

There are still people who open their doors and let their dogs run out to 'exercise themselves' (I know, that's illegal and dangerous and putting the animals at risk etc) so there's a way to go on animal welfare standards.

And what if someone can't pay? If you're going to threaten them with taking their dog then that's really likely to be detrimental to the dog's life, which would be seriously counterproductive.

What really needs to happen is for it to become truly socially unacceptable to allow your dog to do this, and at the moment it just isn't so.

There are still people who open their doors and let their dogs run out to 'exercise themselves' (I know, that's illegal and dangerous and putting the animals at risk etc) so there's a way to go on animal welfare standards.

I think things have improved dramatically over the years, going back in time to the 50s and 60s when dogs were roaming the estates in packs, every time you went out you were lucky not to tread in dog poo... people picking poo up was unthinkable, yes there are hotspots, but I think people are getting the message.