People Who Don't Pick Up After Their Dogs

Guest makapaka

Was walking along here yesterday and the amount of dog mess was a disgrace.

There needs to be some kind of positive action in enforcing fines for fouling or something.

Edited by makapaka

You have to catch people to prosecute people and spending masses of money looking for people seems self defeating. Am sure they could campaign to highlight the problem but anyone who doesn't already know that they should clean up their dog's doings probably isn't going to listen.

Guest makapaka
You have to catch people to prosecute people and spending masses of money looking for people seems self defeating. Am sure they could campaign to highlight the problem but anyone who doesn't already know that they should clean up their dog's doings probably isn't going to listen.

A couple of days enforcement by say undercover dog walkers would make people wary though surely.

It shouldn’t just be ignored.

Could even have a 3 strikes thing where the owners can’t keep animals if they are caught 3 times for not clearing up or something.

As a change to my usual dog walk route I was thinking of using a part of Rivelin valley road but I might not now in case people think its me with my dogs that are fouling it up.

On my current walk I see a lot of dog mess on the floor and I get paranoid that locals may think its me, well not me, the dog, you know what I mean.

Guest makapaka
As a change to my usual dog walk route I was thinking of using a part of Rivelin valley road but I might not now in case people think its me with my dogs that are fouling it up.

On my current walk I see a lot of dog mess on the floor and I get paranoid that locals may think its me, well not me, the dog, you know what I mean.

We walked from around the cafe to Holme lane and that stretch was really bad.

I don't think it should be ignored, by the way, I am just not sure what the answer is that doesn't cost money. The mess in my local park was sprayed pink last summer, with some bio-degradable chalk spary paint, and that seemed to highlight the problem literally and reduce it a tad too.

Guest makapaka
I don't think it should be ignored, by the way, I am just not sure what the answer is that doesn't cost money. The mess in my local park was sprayed pink last summer, with some bio-degradable chalk spary paint, and that seemed to highlight the problem literally and reduce it a tad too.

That sounds a good idea with the paint.

I would just have some undercover walkers on there for a weekend and shame the owners into it.

Sorry I wasn’t accusing you of ignoring it if that’s how it came across.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Unfortunately this seems to be a problem all over the place. It amazes me how many people don’t pick up after their dog and I cannot understand why, it takes two seconds and is the right thing to do.

I stopped two people last week for not picking up after their dog and gave them a poo bag to do so. One was in Rother Valley and one in Chapeltown, they both looked embarrassed and did pick up after I’d confronted them about it, but why not just do it in the first place!!

The highest fines and possibly a spot of medium to heavy corporal punishment should be reservered for the dog owning morons who take the trouble to pick up the offending poo put it in a plastic bag and then chuck the bag on the floor or even better hang it from a fence or tree.

Simple solution. On the spot fines for dog owners who do not pick up after their dog, or who cannot produce a dog waste bag either for or containing dog poo on them. For the first time caught, they may buy a bag for their dog at a cost of £25 on the spot from the dog enforcement officer, to avoid the full fine of £100. For dog owners who can actually produce a bag of poo, they get a free car sticker, promoting the scheme, reading 'I am a responsible dog owner'.

There is already the provision in law for £80 on the spot fines with up to £1000 fines if someone is taken to court. It just needs enforcement.