What cable do I need

I have tried to set up a Chromecast so I can watch programs/ films from my iPad Air 2 to my TV. The ipad and TV recognise the Chromecast but when I try to play the programs it tries to start for a few seconds then says ready to cast. I have spent hours trying to sort it even contacting Chromecast but still cannot get it to work. Can anyone tell me what cable I would need to just plug into the ipad and to the HDMI on my TV. Thanks for any info. Alan.

Hello Mike thanks for getting back to me, I did do a search on ebay and Amazon and also spoke to Apple, I found out about the cable A/V adapter so thought I would ask Apple if it was ok to use. The person tried to find out but in the end told me to contact LG which is my TV to see if they could advise me. I will order one but will have to make sure which one I need because there are 2 versions. Thanks again. Alan.

Are you using the power cable that comes with the Chromecast?

Some TVs don't provide enough power, so it needs to be plugged into a wall socket.

To simply connect an IPAD to tv you need a Lightning to HDMI adapter and an HDMI lead. Note that not all apps support this though - e.g SKY Go doesn’t allow you to broadcast the app to TV, but most apps do.

Also oddly, I can’t seem to see them in the Apple store anymore, but I own one so not sure what’s up with that!

An alternative is getting an Apple TV. You can then broadcast the iPad wirelessly thr Ugh that to your TV.

A second hand one on EBay (say 2nd Gen) won’t be too much.

Don’t know about Chrome cast so can’t help there.

I have tried to set up a Chromecast so I can watch programs/ films from my iPad Air 2 to my TV. The ipad and TV recognise the Chromecast but when I try to play the programs it tries to start for a few seconds then says ready to cast. I have spent hours trying to sort it even contacting Chromecast but still cannot get it to work. Can anyone tell me what cable I would need to just plug into the ipad and to the HDMI on my TV. Thanks for any info. Alan.

You CANNOT Stream things like CatchUp TV (iPlayer/ 4OD / ITV Player etc) or Netflix/Youtube, and stream via ChromeCast - it does not support or allow it (especially from iOS) - (unless the app it's self supports it, but not directly via iOS)

But you need a lightening > HDMI as said above, to connect directly to the TV...

Edited by Ghozer

Thanks for all the suggestions I have the Chromecast plugged into the mains but still cannot get it to work so thought maybe I could just plug a cable into ipad and then into the tv just so I can watch the programs on a bigger screen. I have programs already downloaded on the ipad which I can watch but cannot use the chromecast.

Alan.

Edited by alan p

To use the chromecast you need to use an app that supports chromecast. BBC iPlayer, Netflix, youtube and many other apps have a chromecast button on them. Tap the chromecast button, select your device, then any video you play will appear on the TV. You basically use the ipad as a remote control, all the streaming is done by the chromecast device itself.

Does the app you are using have a chromecast button? If you tap it does it show your chromecast device name?

Alan P - are the programs downloaded from iTunes? Or are you usstill by an app?

I have a chromecast I just use youtube and netflix turn bluetooth on my iphone and stream it from the netflix or youtube app

The programs are downloaded from bbc iPlayer itv. I can watch no problem on the ipad but they wont cast to the tv. That the reason I thought connecting the ipad with a cable so I could watch them on the telly. Thanks again. Alan.