Police in Bus Lanes

Taxis are exempt as the sign states. Seat belts should/must be worn when no passengers though.

Taxis are exempt as the sign states. Seat belts should/must be worn when no passengers though.

So are emergency services even when not on immediate calls. It’s just that the general public do not realise this.

This thread is ridiculous. Anyone who wants the emergency services to sitin traffic lines between shouts needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Bus lanes are controlled by local councils, they are the ones who decide what comes under "authorised vehicles"

Other vehicles can use the gates and lanes, including taxis, cycles and 'authorised' vehicles such as emergency services.

From...

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/travel-transport/bus-lanes-gates.html

Nowhere does it state that the emergency services have to be attending an emergency.

No, they should stick to the rules of the road unless an emergency

Marked police vehicles are allowed by law to use bus lanes in Sheffield irrespective of whether it is an emergency or not so they were doing nowt wrong.

So one law for the plod ,and another for the rest of us.

And they wonder why no one has any respect for them anymore.

tedium is correct. Can you imagine what things would be like if police vehicles weren't allowed to drive in bus lanes and bus gates? All a criminal would have to do is conduct their business in the area of a bus gate knowing the police wouldn't be able to drive down it.

There are very good reasons why police are allowed to dive in them, and go through red lights etc, same as with them not being required by law to wear seat belts. They don't always use blues and twos when travelling to every incident, even emergencies. If they serve no purpose then why would they use them?

Edited by WarPig

I'm happy with them to use bus lanes and go through bus/tram gates even when not in an emergency. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that.

If you don't see any police cars patrolling in your area its probably because they are stuck in traffic instead of using the bus lanes.

I'd rather them use the bus lanes all the time so they can get about to where they need to go. I understand it might look cheeky if they then turn into a McDonalds, but what if they were going to incident there, or they simply decided to turn into McDonalds for a drink at the last minute? What does it matter?

The original poster clearly dislikes the Police, I myself do not. Don't post such banal trivial rubbish trying to open a debate about a non topic. I bet if you called them, regardless what for, you wouldn't mind how they got there...bus lane violations, the full bag o mashings!

Grow up, as a couple have said, it's not an easy job, and when some busybody posts on here trying to stir the sh it, they must wonder why they bother!!

No different from the council who believe that their vehicles can also ignore the traffic laws they themselves have come up with. Complained in the past about parking enforcement van parked on clearway and was informed that this was for ...............wait for it....Health and Saftey

No different from the council who believe that their vehicles can also ignore the traffic laws they themselves have come up with. Complained in the past about parking enforcement van parked on clearway and was informed that this was for ...............wait for it....Health and Saftey

Why do you stress over such little things? I seriously don't understand it.

Why do you stress over such little things? I seriously don't understand it.

It's the same old story on this forum, people complaining about other people getting, or doing, something that they can't. It's called selfishness.