Sheffield Peregrine Falcons 2018

It's been a busy month for me and the Peregrines have been out of mind.

Tonight I thought I'd take a look at the webcam and I'm truly shocked at how fast these creatures have grown in a month.

Just over four weeks ago I watched the second hatching:

http://oi68.tinypic.com/29mslrp.jpg

...... and now I'm looking at them as they dare to risk life and wing before they (hopefully) fly the scrape.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/35hjknp.jpg

They really are pushing their luck aren't they?

One has left the nest box and is on the perch

One has left the nest box and is on the perch

And eyeing the roof, too. Dangerous times!

It will soon be wing testing time! Throw yourself out of a box and...

Last saw one of the chicks balancing and preening on the edge of the box, two others still inside. Just looked again and can only see two chicks!!

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 19:02 ----------

Last saw one of the chicks balancing and preening on the edge of the box, two others still inside. Just looked again and can only see two chicks!!

Apologies, all three are there.

Does anyone know, once the peregrine chick does it’s first flight does it return to the nest box? I’m hoping to be in Sheffield at the end of next week and I was going to take a stroll around St George’s. I’m sure these birds will have done their first flight by then, they look as though they have enough strength in their wings to fledge any time now.

They sometimes spend a couple of days jumping up and down from the roof of the box before taking the first flight. I have not seen this happen yet, so there should still be a few days before the first flights. They do return to the nest box, to the roof or sometimes to the interior to feed and rest for a while.

---------- Post added 06-06-2018 at 12:11 ----------

Two on the ledge...

And one on top!!

Think it was the first hatched (male) to make the leap.

---------- Post added 06-06-2018 at 17:01 ----------

Second one up on the top now.

Edited by PeteM01

They sometimes spend a couple of days jumping up and down from the roof of the box before taking the first flight. I have not seen this happen yet, so there should still be a few days before the first flights. They do return to the nest box, to the roof or sometimes to the interior to feed and rest for a while.

---------- Post added 06-06-2018 at 12:11 ----------

Two on the ledge...

And one on top!!

Think it was the first hatched (male) to make the leap.

---------- Post added 06-06-2018 at 17:01 ----------

Second one up on the top now.

Thank you for the information. I don’t want to go to St George’s if there’s nothing to see. I’ll keep my eye on the webcams.

Thank you for the information. I don’t want to go to St George’s if there’s nothing to see. I’ll keep my eye on the webcams.

They do stay in the vicinity of the box for a few weeks after fledging. I have had my most spectacular 'real life' sightings of the young birds flapping between trees and across the busy road after they disappear from the webcams. There is often someone with binoculars in the grounds to have a chat with about recent sightings.

One of them flew up and out of the box earlier, thankfully back safely now.

One of them flew up and out of the box earlier, thankfully back safely now.

Just seen some very high quality flying by one of the fledglings to get back into the nest box when food arrived!

---------- Post added 08-06-2018 at 11:50 ----------

Has anyone seen the youngest (going by the remaining white fluff) bbird even hop onto the ledge yet? It seems well behind the others.

I get the impression at least one parent is trying to encourage the offspring to practice taking their food whilst in flight.