Sheffield Peregrine Falcons 2018

I would love to see them do their first flight. I’m sure it won’t be long now. They seem to be flapping their wings a lot.

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 20:31 ----------

Im going to be in Sheffield next week and I’m going to St George’s, think it’s just off West Street, to see if I can see the Peregrines.

I would love to see them do their first flight. I’m sure it won’t be long now. They seem to be flapping their wings a lot.

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 20:31 ----------

Im going to be in Sheffield next week and I’m going to St George’s, think it’s just off West Street, to see if I can see the Peregrines.

It's just behind West Street, opposite The Diamond building. :)

It's just behind West Street, opposite The Diamond building. :)

Thank you for that. I’ll be walking around St George’s looking for the nest, hopefully next week.

This is the time when the nerves start to fray. Just seen one chick stood on the edge flapping before finally falling back into the safety of the nest box.

Pigeon on the menu again.

Edited by taxman

This is the time when the nerves start to fray. Just seen one chick stood on the edge flapping before finally falling back into the safety of the nest box.

Yes, just caught that. Hold your breath time!!

Yes I’m watching them at the moment. Thought it was going to do its first flight when it was on the edge.

---------- Post added 04-06-2018 at 10:28 ----------

Has one just flown the nest, I was to busy posting on here? Oh I think it was in the corner having it’s breakfast.

---------- Post added 04-06-2018 at 10:44 ----------

It’s a bit off-putting watching the falcons eat other birds, just hope they are dead before they eat them.

Edited by hauxwell

It’s a bit off-putting watching the falcons eat other birds, just hope they are dead before they eat them.

I would imagine that the parent birds talons sort that when they are caught...or a massive heart attack from the shock.

Looking at the nest box certainly brings home the term "pecking order" The big one getting all the goodies, the second one thinking "maybe" and the little one sat in the corner probably thinking "not a prayer"

Sadly, back in Nottingham...

Yes, sad isn't it? Never seen any movement. She must be eating but every time I look she's still sitting there.

I remember watching the Nottingham nest (2016, I think) when a live pigeon was brought back, with just the tail feathers chewed off so it could not fly. It was allowed to run around the scrape for a few minutes, presumably for the education of the youngsters. They looked on in bemusement until the adult dispatched it with a bite to the neck. Not nice to watch but a good reminder of the peregrine lifestyle.