Sheffield Peregrine Falcons 2018

Two in full view just now

I was lucky enough to catch the second hatch and first feeding today, so I took some screenshots.

Sorry photos not in order but:

top left: shows daddy eating eggshell after helping the chick out of shell.

top right: shows floppy chick trying to get out of egg.

bottom left: shows chick as it's about to be fed.

bottom right: shows mommy bringing home the prey.

http://i68.tinypic.com/29mslrp.jpg

I was lucky enough to catch the second hatch and first feeding today, so I took some screenshots.

Missed all the excitement the screen shots are good. Seems to be quiet at the moment. I’m ashamed to say I can’t tell the difference from the male and female but I have only got an iPad.

Thanks, brilliant shots!

Breakfast time now.

Dinner has arrived, missed some of it because I had to answer the phone, but there is only the chicks is the nest at the moment.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 20:32 ----------

It’s lovely getting a glimpse of the babies, covered in white fluff, or what ever it is. I tend to wonder what happens should an egg fail. Do the adults push it out of the nest, or eat it?

Edited by hauxwell

Dinner has arrived, missed some of it because I had to answer the phone, but there is only the chicks is the nest at the moment.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 20:32 ----------

It’s lovely getting a glimpse of the babies, covered in white fluff, or what ever it is. I tend to wonder what happens should an egg fail. Do the adults push it out of the nest, or eat it?

The I hatched egg usually just gets pushed aside, when the chicks are ringed it's usually collected and taken for DNAtesting by the university and also to see if they can determine why it didn't hatch

The I hatched egg usually just gets pushed aside, when the chicks are ringed it's usually collected and taken for DNAtesting by the university and also to see if they can determine why it didn't hatch

Thank you for the information. I think there is still one egg that has not hatched.

---------- Post added 04-05-2018 at 10:11 ----------

Thank you for the information. I think there is still one egg that has not hatched.

I have googled Peregrine Falcons, to find out more about these birds. Very interesting.

Edited by hauxwell

Tea time, looks like pigeon on the menu.

Link bookmarked again for this year and checked several times a day. Love watching the little ones hatch and grow

I've looked at lots of Peregrine sites this year. Sheffield has to be my favourite, of course, but coming in a very close second is Leamington - what a space they have found protected from most of the weather and lots of space to practice flapping wings - great cameras too so lots of close up shots https://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/news/article/132/webcam_peregrine_falcons_nesting_on_town_hall