Radio Luxembourg

Some one asked what the pools pundit had to do with Luxenburg. Every night he advertised in the 50s and 60s. Not sure how it worked. He had the same advert for years.

My parents were regular listeners in the sixties on the big tranny in the kitchen. Loved the battle of the bands feature Beatles v Stones etc.

Only problem was the fading of the reception. But the only source of pop music apart from the odd show on the BBC at the time. AFN (American Forces Network) was good if you could get it. They played records months before they got released in this country - if at all. And the DJ's were so slick.

The record that always makes me think of 208 is IT MIGHT AS WELL RAIN UNTIL SEPTEMBER - by CAROL KING It got played to death at the time.

was annoying that they cut the records short though!

Yes they did - the BBC would have never done that at the time.

I believe that the record labels at the time paid 208 to play and plug certain records as well. So a record that was not in the charts would get a record of the week status. Radio One did this of course but a panel of DJ's decided which one .

Some one asked what the pools pundit had to do with Luxenburg. Every night he advertised in the 50s and 60s. Not sure how it worked. He had the same advert for years.
Yes - Horace Batchelor was actually a bit of a con artist, though he managed to stay on the right side of the law. He couldn't get any advertising in the UK but Radio Luxembourg accepted his adverts. See for example the Wikipedia article here and another web page here. Old Horace made a good living, relying on winners giving him some of their winnings. His "infra-draw method" was a complete fabrication - he paid his staff to come up with random predictions, but by the law of averages, some of his "investors" won..;) Edited by hillsbro

I remember listening to radio luxemberg on the radio in some of the cars i had in the mid 70,s. one car had a radio that had 4 buttons for pre-setting your favourite stations. I had them set for.....radio 1, radio 2, radio hallam, and luxemberg.

Ahh I :love: Mark Wesley in the 70's. Wiiild and woollly and wooonderfuuul...remember that jingle he had? I've no idea what he looked like but I loved him. Tony Prince kicking the night off, Mark Wesley next, middle bit I must have nodded off and then Kid Jensen till 2am. No wonder I wasn't the brightest star at school, I was shattered. :)

It's nice to find this thread. I was involved a lot with Caroline and I am even to this day. We still have the Ross Revenge and Caroline went legal in 1999 by going on to satellite rather than using the ships transmitters.

All of the ship's studios are still in tack. Most of it was used to kit out the studios for "the boat that rocked". That was a really good project to get involved in!

caroline was on in 1964

------------

Radio Caroline from the 1960S, the bloke that owned the ship was

Tom Handison from Clacton on Sea, the name of the ship was called

Mi Almigo - panama and sank at sea on march 20TH 1980.

what went down with the ship was signed autograph and records of the

beatles.

tom has been back by boat with freinds and looked at 3D imiages of the boat,

Under water was a beutiful wreck.

Come back caroline --- come back radio luxembourg, good old days

and fab records.

It was an advert for a guy who reckoned he could win the football pools for you if you sent him some money. I think he died in poverty in the early eighties.

who can remember the nickname the dj's on Luxemburg had for Elvis Preseley