Radio Luxembourg

Albums were always called that in the US, LP is more or less a British thing. Probably right about the transition from groups to bands though, I think it started with Chicago about 1967,now they were more like a band as we knew it, as they had a 3 man horn section. Of course, they were called Chicago Transit Authority in those early days lol

Were Blood Sweat and Tears around that time ?

Were Blood Sweat and Tears around that time ?

Good point, I think they were very close to that year, David Clayton -Thomas joined them in 1968/69, and that's when they kind of took off. That guy is still around, performing. Great voice, he is a Canadian but born in England. Excellent bands, both Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, neither was a copycat they both started similar styles around the same time. Doobie Brothers came a bit later.

Remember the Decca Record Show - Mondays at 10pm. Half an hour of Pete Murray, then half an hour of Jack Jackson - I think.

There was another bloke (from Leeds) who did that show. The record company during those 1/2 hours Decca was pronounced D.E.C.C.A, though they mentioned the label's proper name. Also , I never knew what garbled prose Jack Jackson was on about. Keith Fordyce and Barry Aldiiss suited me. And wasn't Kent Walton (wrestling commentator) part of Radio L ?

Edited by stpetre
Edit

Oh I used to love Luxembourg 208. I too used to listen under the covers with my little transistor, this was late sixties, it was great.Once I can remember taking it into the bathroom with me, and as others have mentioned, you did used to keep having to retune it as it crackled etc, I had to do that so often that I had wet hands from the bath and got all water on the dial, being young I thought I would get electrocuted from my battery radio !!

Fab lollies came out on the back of 208 and when they first came on the market, they had a little sleeve inside the wrapper and this contained a photo of a 'Pop star' or a Fab 208 Dj ! Me and my sister had loads !!!:cool::D

I am coming to the conclusion that there were hundreds of us listening to late night radio under the bedcovers in ice cold bedrooms in the 1970's.

I was one of them too.

I had a "Kennedy" transistor radio - about the size of a packet of fags. I had an earpiece - and I used to like to listen to Radio Luxembourg.

Some years later and I was under the bedcovers with Caroline as well.

There was another bloke (from Leeds) who did that show. The record company during those 1/2 hours Decca was pronounced D.E.C.C.A, though they mentioned the label's proper name. Also , I never knew what garbled prose Jack Jackson was on about. Keith Fordyce and Barry Aldiiss suited me. And wasn't Kent Walton (wrestling commentator) part of Radio L ?

Don't remember Kent Walton on the radio, but he did have a TV show called Cool for Cats on ITV around the time period that he was doing the wrestling commentaries. Wasn't it him who introduced his fellow Canadian to the British wrestling scene i.e. Billy Two Rivers?

---------- Post added 11-02-2018 at 17:45 ----------

Remember the Decca Record Show - Mondays at 10pm. Half an hour of Pete Murray, then half an hour of Jack Jackson - I think.

Heard a DJ broadcast from Pete Murray a few months ago on a syndicated radio show, don't know if it was a live show or a taping, but I checked him out and he was still doing it, in his early nineties lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

Don't remember Kent Walton on the radio, but he did have a TV show called Cool for Cats on ITV around the time period that he was doing the wrestling commentaries. Wasn't it him who introduced his fellow Canadian to the British wrestling scene i.e. Billy Two Rivers?

---------- Post added 11-02-2018 at 17:45 ----------

Heard a DJ broadcast from Pete Murray a few months ago on a syndicated radio show, don't know if it was a live show or a taping, but I checked him out and he was still doing it, in his early nineties lol

I used to listen to the 'Top Twenty' on RL or Radio Looneyburg as my dad would call it, on Sunday nights (not sure what time it came on) in the late 50's early 60's. No other radio station did such a show. I did not have a 'tranny' but could listen to it on our house 'wireless', a big brown coloured 'Bush' thing.

I used to listen to the 'Top Twenty' on RL or Radio Looneyburg as my dad would call it, on Sunday nights (not sure what time it came on) in the late 50's early 60's. No other radio station did such a show. I did not have a 'tranny' but could listen to it on our house 'wireless', a big brown coloured 'Bush' thing.

Off topic, but there is a new thread come up about the Small Faces and the WMC they were thrown out of and playing the Mojo. I remember you going on about it on another thread. He is looking for more info on that 1965 visit to Sheffield by those lads.

Fantastic radio station used to listen in all the time in the 60s . Fond memories camping at cleethorpes Radio on all night .

Can anyone remember Silverkrin Time being recorded at Sheffield City Hall in the early to mid 60's?