Celeriac -what's your favourite way of cooking it?

I've got a bit of a thing for celeriac lately - a lovely vegetable, with a mild celery-like taste and a dense, creamy texture, quite cheap to buy...and very versatile.

I love making spicy celeriac & parsnip soup - it's really velvety and tasty. Celeriac also works well cut into wedges and oven-roasted, or finely diced and added to stews, casseroles, vegetable curries or pasta sauces etc. It's also quite nice raw, finely grated or shredded - and added to salads, home made coleslaws etc.

If anyone has any more ideas for tasty celeriac recipes, please share them with me.

Mashed 50/50 with red sweet potatoes, as a topping for a fish pie, instead of mashed spuds.

Peel it, boil it, mash it, add butter, throw it in the bin.

I've got a bit of a thing for celeriac lately - a lovely vegetable, with a mild celery-like taste and a dense, creamy texture, quite cheap to buy...and very versatile.

I love making spicy celeriac & parsnip soup - it's really velvety and tasty. Celeriac also works well cut into wedges and oven-roasted, or finely diced and added to stews, casseroles, vegetable curries or pasta sauces etc. It's also quite nice raw, finely grated or shredded - and added to salads, home made coleslaws etc.

If anyone has any more ideas for tasty celeriac recipes, please share them with me.

I’m ashamed to say I’ve never tried it before I’ve often looked at it, but I think I will put it on my shopping list. It’s somthing I have intended to try. How to cook it is another thing. I’ll have to give that some thought, or see what recipes are on here.

I grate it... add some carrots too then mix in a remoulade/Mayo sauce.

It's lovely when served really chilled :)

:D:D:D Your reply really made me chuckle, Naïve. I'm quite an experimental cook and there's been quite few times when I've spent a small fortune on ingredients, hours of preparation and cooking, only to have the end result turn out to be an absolute disaster....and end up either in the bin. or down the kitchen sink!

My most recent spectacular failure was home-made hummus. All that faffing about soaking, boiling, cooling and pureeing chickpeas.....all that trying to add exactly the right ratios of olive oil, tahini, garlic, seasoning, etc! The end result was totally the wrong texture and consistency - not a nice, dense hummus at all... more like bowl of pale, beige gravy - and the whole lot ended up being washed down the sink!

I could have bought a perfectly nice tub of hummus from Lidl for £0.89p. Instead, I spent about £2.00 quid - and about 2 hours of my time - making crap hummus that I had to chuck away at the end of the day!

:D

It is actually cheaper to make your own hummus but start with a tin of chickpeas, about 60p, and a jar of tahini. A good basic recipe is one tin (reserve the water) with a couple of tablespoons of tahini, slug of olive oil, garlic clove, salt and lemon juice. Whizz, adding bits here and there, including the chickpea water, and you'll soon get there, much better and cheaper than shop bought. Save those dried chickpeas for falafel. Soak them overnight then whiz with chickpea flour, garlic and parsley before forming them into little balls. They keep their shape better than when using tinned chickpeas.

Thanks for your recipe Happyaslarry. I tried it, I followed it to the letter, but I am sad to report that my home-made hummus stillturned out far too bland and slushy. Maybe I'm doing summat wrong?? I'll keep on trying to get it right....but in the meantime, I'll keep on buying the Supermarket hummus stuff....which is not perfect...but it'll do!

Oh well! The only other thing I can suggest is that it is processed for too long. Or go easy on the olive oil and stir it in afterwards.

Ta for the tips happyaslarry - maybe using the tinned chickpeas, rather than the dried ones will make the difference. You've inspired me to keep on trying to perfect the art of making a decent home-made hummus!

:)

Do you have to cook it? Might explain why I have belly ache.