Polycabonate sheets for greenhouse

Having suffered a few broken panes in the last few weeks I'm looking to replace them with polycarbonate sheet.

Has anyone else gone down this route and does anyone know a local supplier?

Having suffered a few broken panes in the last few weeks I'm looking to replace them with polycarbonate sheet.

I have a polycarbonate greenhouse on my allotment and a glass one in my garden. I much prefer the glass one to be honest, the light is better and it needs less maintenance.

You can buy packs of polycarbonate sheeting suitable for glazing a greenhouse from eBay. Reasonable prices too. If you do give it a go, I suggest that you either nail or glue the sheets into place.

I have a polycarbonate greenhouse on my allotment and a glass one in my garden. I much prefer the glass one to be honest, the light is better and it needs less maintenance.

You can buy packs of polycarbonate sheeting suitable for glazing a greenhouse from eBay. Reasonable prices too. If you do give it a go, I suggest that you either nail or glue the sheets into place.

Thanks for your reply Naïve.

The thinking with polycarbonate is that it does not shatter into lots of sharp pieces. We're quite high up and get the winds coming from Bradfield & once in the structure it does not take much to do a lot of damage.

I've seen ten 4ft by 2ft sheets on ebay for £38 delivered which does not seem too bad.

Thanks for your reply Naïve.

The thinking with polycarbonate is that it does not shatter into lots of sharp pieces. We're quite high up and get the winds coming from Bradfield & once in the structure it does not take much to do a lot of damage.

I've seen ten 4ft by 2ft sheets on ebay for £38 delivered which does not seem too bad.

I’m familiar with the Bradfield winds:) and I see your logic.

If you fix the polycarbonate in firmly it should be fine.

You will probably spend some time retrieving sheets that blow out though.

Why not stick some film on the glass to stop it shattering into shards? I think laminated glass may be a bit thick and heavy. You could always have a chat to a local glazier to ask what they think. Toughened glass shatters but into safe pieces. I'm guessing you already know this though.

Polycarb doesn't last too long before it goes opaque and it doesn't let as much light in.

There are one or two greenhouse and summerhouse manufacturers that will sell them.

It would however be an issue of finding appropriate sizes so could be time consuming.

There are one or two greenhouse and summerhouse manufacturers that will sell them.

It would however be an issue of finding appropriate sizes so could be time consuming.

It cuts down to size easily with a Stanley knife

A question to ask is how long does polycarbonate last before it becomes brittle.