Wadsley Common Hut..

Anyone remember the corrugated iron hut used by cricketers to get changed on Wadsley Common..?? I was told it belonged to Wadsley Church??

I`m sure it was still upright when I left the area in 1980, but on a recent visit the whole landscape had been taken over by weeds and bushes ...

Yes played up there a few friendlies a few times when we set up Hillsbrough Park Rangers. Think it was about 1968, Corrugated hut that had been burnt out no windows or door. One pitch was reasonably flat with the centre spot a 2 ft wide slab of stone. Think we played the track staff frpm Sheffield Speedway first time. The other pitch was like playing up Jenkin Road. Kicking up hill you couldn't much get out of the penalty box. Kicking down if you kicked the ball too far in front you couldn't catch it.

Derek

---------- Post added 29-01-2017 at 19:26 ----------

Was there not a jewish organisation rthat rean apitch called Maccabi stadium at one time I think it was takeb over by Sheffield Rangers who put a new fence round it and it was stolen shortly afterwards anyone can the update please.

Yes, Mike and Bernie winters performed the Opening Ceremony...1965 if memory serves me well....we used to play at weekends on their pitch - more often than not, NOT playing - as the ball went over the fencing down to the old quarry below the rocks..!!!........the Church changing rooms were much higher up the Common...

The corrugated shack that was there was only about about 10ft or 12ft. Went up to the Maccabi stadium and was a large stand

Anyone remember a changing room/scout hut?? on Wadsley Common in the 60`s or 70`s??

When I last visited after a very long absence, it had disappeared...Is this just my imagination or something more sinister...??

I remember getting changed there in about 75/76 when we played in the Sunday Sports League.

The washing facilities consisted of a barrel of rainwater outside the shack.

We had to chase sheep off the pitch before kick off.