Sheffield Locksmiths? Smart Locks?

FYI, DirectLine says: "As it stands [smart locks] don’t currently affect your home insurance as long as they work in conjunction with a mortice deadlock, your front door will be considered just as secure as a standard key-operated lock."

Lots more interesting info: https://www.directline.com/home-cover/what-are-smart-locks

Theirs a few story's online, and a video went "viral" on Facebook. A couple of theifs one with a laptop another with a device im not sure Of that picks up the keys signal sent to laptop and the laptop used to unlock the car. Here's a quick Google search result for hacked smart locks.

https://www.cnet.com/news/have-a-smart-lock-yeah-it-can-probably-be-hacked/

Thats the keyword in your post "few".

FYI, DirectLine says: "As it stands [smart locks] don’t currently affect your home insurance as long as they work in conjunction with a mortice deadlock, your front door will be considered just as secure as a standard key-operated lock."

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the "smart" lock, having it installed next to a regular lock?

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the "smart" lock, having it installed next to a regular lock?

Good question!

The way I read it, the electronics of the smart lock have to control a physical lock, the actual portion that connects your door to the jamb and stops it from opening. I think they are saying that if the electronics is connected to a proper mortice lock it should be fine.

But you make me realise I really need to call my insurer.

But this is also why I want a good locksmith who has worked with these things before and can offer good advice.

Personally, like you I'll stick to traditional locks, but I'm sure the companies making smart locks have taken reasonable steps to secure them.

It's a nice thought. Sadly the track record of IoT (Internet of Things - home appliances connected to the internet) companies is absolutely appalling when it comes to security, even where security is the fundamental purpose of the product. Tek-no-logic's link is a stark example. Here's another:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/12/top-selling-handgun-safe-can-be-remotely-opened-in-seconds-no-pin-needed/

We have a Yale "smartlock" fitted on our showroom door, It works in conjunction with your multipoint lock, We supply and fit them for £350.00. My personal view is they aren't pretty to look at and I would wait until they've been "slimmed" down for use on your home, on a commercial property they look fine and work a treat. Cheers Andy

my cars have had remote locking for decades and never been hacked

Just because you personally have never been targeted doesn't mean it never happens.

It's actually very common indeed.

We have a Yale "smartlock" fitted on our showroom door, It works in conjunction with your multipoint lock,

So does that mean that there are 2 locks fitted to the door?

Or that the smart lock is the sole lock?

The door works on the same principal as before ie multipoint does the work and you lock it with a euro cylinder, Whereas the smart lock doesn't need the euro cylinder and works electronically once the handles are lifted. They will then work via your smartphone or with a key fob. The main benefit is you don't have a euro lock that can be snapped or forced through the door. Any Queries feel free to call or pop in to the showroom to take a look. Cheers

I used them but I never would use them again they come out and hit you with sky high prices AVOID

Hi Tattoo, which company are we talking about? If it was ourselves could you let me know the details of the job please. cheers Andy