Hello from a heeley lad

Hi all new to the forum born in Sheffield grew up in heeley Cambridge road 110 opp peter pops shop and a bit further up was Jim's fish n chips shop luvly.went to anns rd then newfield school left heeley at 16 moved to totley that wer different then back to heeley tillitson rd when i got married now retired living in Lincolnshire

Use the search facility i.e. post Heeley, plenty of results of past posts by Heeley folks

Hi all new to the forum born in Sheffield grew up in heeley Cambridge road 110 opp peter pops shop and a bit further up was Jim's fish n chips shop luvly.went to anns rd then newfield school left heeley at 16 moved to totley that wer different then back to heeley tillitson rd when i got married now retired living in Lincolnshire

Also lived in Cambridge Road, family surname was Aspinall who had about 3 families living on Cambridge Road in the 50's. Moved to Meersbrook where we attended Carfield School then back to Heeley still attending Carfield.

Regards,

Duffems

Also lived in Cambridge Road, family surname was Aspinall who had about 3 families living on Cambridge Road in the 50's. Moved to Meersbrook where we attended Carfield School then back to Heeley still attending Carfield.

Regards,

Duffems

I lived around the corner on t' Little Hill, Carter Place, and I remember a Terence Hall, near the top of Cambridge Road, on the left as you go up.

Smashing drawer, and had lots of good toys and a Meccano set! 1948 ish.

Edited by trastrick

I lived around the corner on t' Little Hill, Carter Place, and I remember a Terence Hall, near the top of Cambridge Road, on the left as you go up.

Smashing drawer, and had lots of good toys and a Meccano set! 1948 ish.

I didn't know him. Do you recall the chippie just around the corner from the top of Cambridge Road on the left, it was just before you got to the Waggon & Horses in a row of terraced houses. We used to call there on our way back to Meersbrook after visiting my grandparents on Alexandra Road. We were always walking somewhere in those days, always enroute, always outdoors!

We left Cambridge Road in 1953 when the new houses were built at Hackenthorpe, my parents were on the housing list, the house we lived in on Cambridge Road was my great grandfather's Fred Aspinall.

After about 3 years at Hackenthorpe we moved to Upper Vallley Road Meersbrook because mum was fed up with the lack of facilities in Hackenthorpe and the harsh Winters there. I'd been swapped between 4 different schools in Ridgeway in the 3 years we lived there and always by charabanc, we crashed into a field once on the top road at Ridgeway in a snow drift.

Once we moved to Meersbrook I stayed at Carfield until I passed for Brincliffe Grammar.

I loved Heeley and Meersbrook then, happy memories but, I wouldn't want to live there now.

I didn't know him. Do you recall the chippie just around the corner from the top of Cambridge Road on the left, it was just before you got to the Waggon & Horses in a row of terraced houses. We used to call there on our way back to Meersbrook after visiting my grandparents on Alexandra Road. We were always walking somewhere in those days, always enroute, always outdoors!

We left Cambridge Road in 1953 when the new houses were built at Hackenthorpe, my parents were on the housing list, the house we lived in on Cambridge Road was my great grandfather's Fred Aspinall.

After about 3 years at Hackenthorpe we moved to Upper Vallley Road Meersbrook because mum was fed up with the lack of facilities in Hackenthorpe and the harsh Winters there. I'd been swapped between 4 different schools in Ridgeway in the 3 years we lived there and always by charabanc, we crashed into a field once on the top road at Ridgeway in a snow drift.

Once we moved to Meersbrook I stayed at Carfield until I passed for Brincliffe Grammar.

I loved Heeley and Meersbrook then, happy memories but, I wouldn't want to live there now.

Upper Valley Road! Oooh, aren't we we posh!

Please Mater, ask Wilson to pass the Grey Poupon, and all that!

Seriously though,

I remember as if it was yesterday. There was a shop on the corner of Forster Road, then our local chip shop, Hursts/Poulters on the corner of Carter Road, then up to Kent Road, and around the corner to t' other chip shop, with their black range made at Beeton Hill, Leeds. (We used to try and decipiher it while we waited, some swore it said Beston Will Lead!)

The Heeley Green Cinema was my church!

From Carter Place, and Anns Road, to Grandma 1 on Myrtle Road and Heeley Bank, then to Grandma 2 on Hartopp Road, with a short stint at an Uncle's place down near London (school cap and blazer, posh at last) :)

Then basically on the road at 16 around the U.K. and Scotland, then to Canada, so had friends all over, but no lifelong ones who knew me back in the day.

Still on the move, now found Dominican Republic weather more to my liking!

Most of my school pals, either passed on or never got into computers!

I'd give anything to find Terence Hall, Peter Forman, Norman Hutchinson, Arnold Argot, Mary Maltby, Ivy Redfern, the Drews, the Colemans and the Whittakers, Barry Speer

Thanks for the memory, Duffems!

Hi Duffems cant recall chippy there but long time ago do remember a chap who stood outside wagon horses with a barrow nick name chopper

Here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory that might have some names familiar to Cambridge Road folk!

Here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory that might have some names familiar to Cambridge Road folk!

Thanks hillsbro, as ever you have the scans, well done.

The thing I remember most about my journeys from our house on Upper Valley Road to my grandparents on Alexandra Road was having to wear a scarf in Winter to combat the smogs. I had a yellow scarf which I used to wear around my face (instructions from grandma), on the relatively short journey between our houses the part where I'd breathed through was a dark mustard stain showing just how bad the smogs were and there were a taste all of its' own.

I see in the news that there's danger in giving kids old plastic toys which are toxic by today's standards, how the hell are we little urchins from the 40/50's surviving I wonder!

Regards,

Duffems

I new the chip shop in Kent Road, just before the Waggon & horses. It was our nearest, and I belive the best.Mom always sent me there for our "Special Fish & Chip supper", when we had the extra money to splash out, Hi,Hi.

Edited by Peter Tottle

Remember a Tex Harrison who went to Newfield School, something in the back of my mind recalls a lad with that name. Also recall John Humphries, ? Jarrett (mother worked in the chippie), Melvin Gosling, Roger Philips, Kevan Johnson, John Shipstone (Shippo), Paul Heggarty, Richard Bullivant, Derek Vincent, Philip Joynes, John Hill, these last two being Meersbrook lads.

John Binns was a good mate who sadly died around his 50th. birthday.

These are a few of the names recalled from Heeley who went to Newfield School.

Regards,

Duffems

On 27/01/2018 at 13:48, DUFFEMS said:

The chippie you are thinking of was Catewells, don't know if I have the correct spelling, I was brought up on Sturge St.