Who is, or was, the best headteacher in Sheffield?

Mrs Vickers at Pipworth Road school she was fab a tough lady but very fair

Dunn from Gleadless Valley was a top bloke and a good teacher.

Cook at Meadowhead was ok but that school had a big problem with being obsessed with their precious grades and putting them above the kids. He was a decent enough person though and you could have a laugh with him.

Why is it though that headteachers always bloody teach R.E. ?

Cos it's the most boring subject ever created, and nobody in their right mind wants to do the lessons about it.

Why did we even bother with it? It's not like anyone uses the stuff they "learn" in RE in later life is it? Unless they're religiously inclined.

My eldest daughter was there at the same time. I agree Ken Cooke was great. It was never the same when he left.

Yes, you're right mother dear - I was there at the same time! lol

I agree though, Ken was the best headteacher..

Dapper Dan..Mr Cook passed away a few years ago..think it was a heart attack not too sure though...

Dapper Dan..Mr Cook passed away a few years ago..think it was a heart attack not too sure though...

Man! I never knew that. That's a shame.

RIP Mr Cook.

Also, Mr Charlesworth was a nice headteacher when I was at Woodseats Primary. Mr Wattison (my Maths teacher at Woodseats) was an invigilator at one of my final year exams at university in 2000. Didn't like him and a little scared of him at junior school.

Are You sure ?

Mr cook was a legend @ meadowhead top top lad gutted if it is true, i would have thought it would have been in the paper or summat :(

dapper dan i remember charlsey what year was you there mate ?

Are You sure ?

Mr cook was a legend @ meadowhead top top lad gutted if it is true, i would have thought it would have been in the paper or summat :(

dapper dan i remember charlsey what year was you there mate ?

I was at Woodseats '84-88, and at Meadowhead fromm '88 until 93. I remember Mr Charlesworth!

Man, that was back in the day!

i had a mr mawson when i was at gleadless middle school in 1980, saw his foto in the star a bit back, hes a prof of summat or other now aint he?

Not exactly a Head but the Deputy was a Mr Shooter at Silverdale school during the 70's/80's.Fearsome character.

Not exactly a Head but the Deputy was a Mr Shooter at Silverdale school during the 70's/80's.Fearsome character.

Charlie Shooter was also a very popular man. Bents Green church was packed out at his funeral.

although quite a while back miss whitham at newfield ,was very good and very strict,no one messed with her .the worst one of recent time mr foden who has just left handsworth grange,he was useless ,he used to teach at newfield

Guest Pauly
Without a doubt, Ken Cooke, who was the Head of Jordanthorpe, and later meadowhead when Jordo was merged with Rowlinson. Kens door was always open to parents (or at least it was to me) when my daughters went there in the mid/late 1980s.

Worst, without a doubt, was herbert wadge who was the head of the Central Technical School when I was there from 1963 to 1965. He was so evil that he could actually be accused of abusing the privilege of belonging to the human race. I do believe that when he died the letters RIP were left off the headstone and substituted for the more appropriate RIH.

He made it his mission to 'be the best school' and he told us this frequently during assemblies. Can't really moan at that because I enjoyed my time there for the most part. He had a few good history lessons in him as well. :)

Another I could mention is Ernie Crookes at Norton Free School. Very strict but that's the best way and he told some cracking stories in assemblies. :D Hope he's still with us as I've not heard anything about him for a bit. :thumbsup: