Cat with Thyroid Problem

Hi

Really hoping someone can give me some advice!

My cat will be 13 in August and has just been diagnosed with over active Thyroid.

I took her in a week last Monday with vomiting. They gave her an anti-inflammatory and anti sickness. After a day she was vomiting again and off her food. Back to vets again where they did blood work and found the thyroid problem. She has been taking medication for 10 days now and we had to half her medication within the first few days as she was still vomiting. We seem to have a good day with no vomiting and eating little bits but then go back to vomiting again and eating tiny bits of food.

I just want to know how long I persevere with the medication. She was sick three times before I went to bed last night and then 3 times in the night. Most of it is just clear liquid. She miaows in this awful way before she's sick and she's lost so much weight it's heartbreaking to watch as I'm doing everything the vet is asking.

Hope someone can offer some advice!

Thank you

Laura

Poor cat! What are the tablets she's been given?

I've had a cat with an overactive thyroid and have also had an overactive thyroid myself.

My old cat had a thyroidectomy - basically surgery to remove the thyroid which was successful and she lived for many years after that with no problems.

Some vets will also offer radioiodine treatment, which is a dose of a radioactive isotope of iodine, which is absorbed by the thyroid and the radiation kills it off. There aren't any side effects but you do have to be in isolation for a time - I know as I had this treatment myself with great success.

The thing with thyroid problems is it's not like taking a painkiller for a headache, it takes quite a time for the levels of hormones to come down as they sort of build up in the body.

Can you give the vet a call and see what they say about her still vomiting?

Thank you for your reply.

Surgery wasn't offered as a option because of her age. I'm back tonight. I don't think it's the medication that's making her sick as she was she was throwing up before the medicine. It's just so frustrating watching her not eating much and then throwing up. I feel like I'm torturing her :(

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-hyperthyroidism#2 This site has some good info. Apparently common onset is 12-13 yrs and yet they talk about surgery.

Also over active thyroid usually means increased appetite and weight loss, not decreased appetite and weight loss.

On the vomiting, my 14 yr old cat who has always been a bit on the sicky side, started regurgitating/ being sick pretty much daily. Put her on Royal Canin's Digestive dry biscuits and it's almost completely stopped.

Hope this helps and hope you get some better answers tonight

Thank you for your replies. The vet did offer the surgery this evening. She says she thinks my cat is one of the few that it takes a while to settle and levels to balance out. Just have to be patient which is not my strong point! Vet says her bloods are very healthy for her age and it was only her thyroid one that came back high. Thanks again.

If your cat is otherwise healthy and 13, I would certainly consider surgery. I've known so many cats go on for many years after surgery with a really good quality that in my opinion it's certainly worth consideration.

It all depends on how they are with medication. My old girl Merlin took 4 doses of heart pills a day for years and would just cuddle up on my lap and let me feed them to her, but my other old cat Tiffy coudln't even have antibiotics because she was still bearing so much of a grudge from one pill that it was impossible to find her to give her the second one, and she avoided me for weeks after each worming pill. In my opinion if the medication makes them that unhappy then there's no point in thinking that medication is the solution when surgery is usually a one off treatment.

I hope that your little one is stable and happy again soon, whichever route of treatment you take :)

Hi Laura

My cat had hyperthyroidism. He was 16 at the time and he is a Bengal. He was eating a hell of a lot but losing weight and went really bony especially round his back end. It was only on the second lot of blood tests that he was diagnosed. He had medication for a few weeks to get his weight up a bit and then he had the radiation treatment. He has regular checks but is loads better. I don't remember him vomiting but he did start to lose his balance and and one occasion was walking round in circles so i think it can cause some very strange symptoms probably different in all cases.

Good luck with your furry love. I'm sure he'll be feeling better soon.

Thank you so much for your replies. It's really helps that other people have been through this. We had an OK day yesterday- she ate a bit more then tonight she's walking around just miaowing even though there's food down for her. I just at end of my nerves! Can I ask how much surgery cost? I am with petplan but worried they won't pay out .

Thank you again

Two of my cats [sisters] both had thyroid problems later in life - they were 16 when it showed up. In both cases they were not going to be happy with tablets so I went for the operation. Both came through it although one had a rough time for a little while, they both put the weight back on and were happy and healthy for a few more years. However the vomiting and not wanting to eat sounds like there may be something else going on with yours.

Thank you so much for your replies. It's really helps that other people have been through this. We had an OK day yesterday- she ate a bit more then tonight she's walking around just miaowing even though there's food down for her. I just at end of my nerves! Can I ask how much surgery cost? I am with petplan but worried they won't pay out .

Thank you again

if it wasn't a pre existing condition, petplan normally pay out and they are pretty quick at doing so. My dobermann has just gone through masses of tests including heart, thyroid, blood and cushing s test. She has been diagnosed as having an over active thyroid and is now on tablets for life. The meds they prescribed initially were too high a dose and we've still got to have some more tests but since reducing the dosage she has calmed down (still hungry but not as mental). I was really worried that the costs would spiral and that petplan might not pay out but so far (touch wood) they are honouring the agreement (she is covered for life, phew).

Ditto, one of my cats is on petplan and she started losing weight and limping just before Xmas - had tests, pain meds, antibiotics and due to what the vets say is a viral issue, most of her teeth removed. Paws crossed she should be covered by Petplan.

If in doubt, have a chat with petplan or with your vet - they are usually very experienced at making sure the claim is clear. Hope your cat is getting used to her meds and recovering xK

---------- Post added 30-01-2018 at 11:40 ----------

Thank you again

your vet might make a direct claim if its Petplan - in which case, you pay the excess directly to the vets practice and complete a claim form then the vets complete their sections and make the claim to Petplan for the balance.

I'm sure she'll feel better after the op, although it'll take a bit of time for her to normalise afterwards. Good luck for her, let us know how she goes :)