Bed base dumped - what to do

So you would rather have it spent on clearing fly tipping up that costs twice as

much :loopy::loopy:

Twice as much?

Please provide a link to your evidence of this.

Are the council work vans required to book in or need a 3 visit license?

There work guys who are refreshing properties etc must dump the stuff somewhere INCLUDING those that they sub contract it too.

Do you honestly think that clearing up fly tipping would cost less than letting any and every business use a dumpit site?

Fly tipping costs the UK tax payer £58m. That's a national figure not a local one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42689357

How much do you think it would cost to let every small business, just small businesses, get rid of rubbish for free? More or less than £58m.

That's part of my point though. It's not the true cost, it's just the amount they actually spend on clearing up. How much would they really need to be spending to clear it all up? If £58m was enough, all the lanes would be clean as a whistle, we'd never see a pile of rubble on a bit of waste ground or in a wood. How much just goes unreported?

Where do businesses take their rubbish if they don't take them to the tip?

Trade waste centres.

Skips

Commercial waste collections (you will have seen those big wheeled bins).

Trade waste centres.

Skips

Commercial waste collections (you will have seen those big wheeled bins).

Is that not a flaw in the system? If it was controlled by the council then they could charge (maybe not as much as a private contractor), make money and recycle a lot more than they do currently and a reduction in fly tipping would, to soe extent, occur as a consequence.

Is that not a flaw in the system? If it was controlled by the council then they could charge (maybe not as much as a private contractor), make money and recycle a lot more than they do currently and a reduction in fly tipping would, to soe extent, occur as a consequence.

Why?

We all pay to dispose of our waste.

Households pay through taxes and some also pay for skips, collections etc.

Businesses pay for disposal using private contractors.

Criminals fly tip, usually to avoid payment.

Why?

It's an inefficient, overly complicated set up.

It's an inefficient, overly complicated set up.

It's overly complicated and inefficient to a point but commercial waste opens up a whole raft regulations and sheer volume even small businesses like corner shops and takeaways produce is surprisingly large and their contents variable. Chez2 is your waste expert on here, she'll tell you.

Why?

No , its mainly because the council and their buddies at Veolia wont let LWB vans in the tips. Fly tipping was not the problem it is now before they put barriers on the dumps . The lads with the vans used to buy the tip staff " a drink" and they got to dump their rubbish . It also meant the council didnt have to spend a fortune on clearing up fly tipping , when they STILL ending up with the rubbish .

its false economy .

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 13:08 ----------

It's overly complicated and inefficient to a point but commercial waste opens up a whole raft regulations and sheer volume even small businesses like corner shops and takeaways produce is surprisingly large and their contents variable. Chez2 is your waste expert on here, she'll tell you.

No one is saying large companies should be allowed to dump tonnes of rubbish at the council dump it sites are they ? The problem is with the council banning LWB vans , who might want to get shut of a sofa , or bed, or wardrobe, all of which end up down country lanes because they cant use the tips.

No , its mainly because the council and their buddies at Veolia wont let LWB vans in the tips. Fly tipping was not the problem it is now before they put barriers on the dumps . The lads with the vans used to buy the tip staff " a drink" and they got to dump their rubbish . It also meant the council didnt have to spend a fortune on clearing up fly tipping , when they STILL ending up with the rubbish .

its false economy .

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 13:08 ----------

No one is saying large companies should be allowed to dump tonnes of rubbish at the council dump it sites are they ? The problem is with the council banning LWB vans , who might want to get shut of a sofa , or bed, or wardrobe, all of which end up down country lanes because they cant use the tips.

How do people who dont have long wheel base vans get rid of a three piece suite? Carry it there? It aint fitting in a car. How do we know its just your scruffy van owning mates just fly tipping? My council lets me drive my lwb hi roof van no problem. We are still blighted by fly tipping. Ive seen stuff piled up next to the gates. Lack of van access is just a crap escuse by crap people - and theres plenty evidence outside of confines of sheffield and your reprobate mates showing it.

The Council usually sub contract civic amenity sites out to private waste companies, look at the skips on site.

The Council wheeled trade bins, the 1,100L ones are often more expensive than private contracted ones.

What makes you think private companies don't recover or recycle their waste? The average recycle or recovery rate is usually around 95-98%. That leaves less than 5% of residues to landfill.

How would the council make money by allowing trade waste to be tipped for free? As this would attract a charge, what difference would it be to pay the Council as opposed to paying a private waste company?

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 19:20 ----------

How do people who dont have long wheel base vans get rid of a three piece suite? Carry it there? It aint fitting in a car. How do we know its just your scruffy van owning mates just fly tipping? My council lets me drive my lwb hi roof van no problem. We are still blighted by fly tipping. Ive seen stuff piled up next to the gates. Lack of van access is just a crap escuse by crap people - and theres plenty evidence outside of confines of sheffield and your reprobate mates showing it.

This is what Rotherham Council offer:

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/200084/bins_rubbish_and_recycling/758/arrange_removal_of_bulky_waste_items

This is what Sheffield Council offer via Veolia.

https://www.veolia.co.uk/sheffield/collections-home/collections-home/bulky-item-collection-service

Quite reasonable really

I am delighted to report that I used "fix my street" as advised right at the beginning of this topic. My request was passed on to the Town Hall, who acknowledged receipt of same, and gave me a reference number.

I wondered how long I should wait, realising that passers-by might take one

dumping as an invitation for more. But this morning the bed base had gone - five days after my request to "fix my street".

So I'm glad to think that the system has worked, (which I suppose is what happened!) Thanks to the Forum. I notice many contributors are aroused by the topic, hence the large number of viewings and comments.